RWC19 "Stuff"

Hall of Famer

Re: RWC19 "Stuff"

03 Nov 2019 10:56 am:

My thoughts exactly Sheddy. To “reject” the medals would have been not to take them and that would have been totally wrong and disrespectful.
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 10:56 am:

I agree.

Why would you want to hang a loser's medal round your neck a few moments after what (at the time seems like) the biggest disappointment of your life?

Most of them will take them home and look at them in years to come with fond memories. Give the players a break.
Formerly Sky blue
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 11:09 am:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:
ROLLO wrote:Have to disgree about the medals Kentish. IMHO it says we lost and so the game meant nothing to me which disrepects the opposition and hosts. Can you imagine the SA captain and the journey he has been on doing the same had he lost - not a chance.
I can understand Englands disappointment as they were spanked, but you have to take these things with good grace.

No it doesn't. It says we lost and it hurts and I'd rather not have a medal around my neck as a symbol of what will probably the biggest regret of my life. I can easily imagine the South Africans or any team doing the same.

People are talking about this like England are the first team ever to do it when on fact it is pretty much standard procedure. Watch any cup final in nearly any sport over the last few years and I can pretty much guarantee that you will see plenty of other players doing the exact same thing. This is an absolute something of nothing.

+1 . They were awarded the medals (and accepted them graciously and with thanks to BB) and then held them in their hands/put them in their pockets. I am certain that they put them in their kit bags and will bring them home. What do you expect from OF (and how long was he given to speak) ?? We all know how hard it must be to be runners-up on the biggest stage. The squad/EJ did their bit and departed the scene as soon as they politely could (gutted to their core).

The pathetic blame/criticise culture now being seen at it's worst.

4 Finals out of 9 - and according to some England unlikely to get past the QF's at best !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hero in the making

03 Nov 2019 12:11 pm:

The Corinthian spirit is then well and truly dead. Ok be careful what you wish for going forward. As a retired teacher of over 50 years , at many levels, I stood for taking part and respecting the winners and the losers. I have always been proud to see others respect that position . Of course you hurt when you lose but you front up and take it on the chin. Sorry folks I can’t sign up to their actions , apart from Mr Curry. I leave it there
West is best
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 12:25 pm:

That’s fair enough HPF, it’s just different people explaining their different perspective on it.
Hero in the making

03 Nov 2019 13:21 pm:

Herefordpropforward wrote:The Corinthian spirit is then well and truly dead. Ok be careful what you wish for going forward. As a retired teacher of over 50 years , at many levels, I stood for taking part and respecting the winners and the losers. I have always been proud to see others respect that position . Of course you hurt when you lose but you front up and take it on the chin. Sorry folks I can’t sign up to their actions , apart from Mr Curry. I leave it there

Agree 100% Hpf.
The lack of grace by some of England's players was noticeable, when given their medals (and commented on by someone in SA with whom I spoke this morning). I don't buy the "professional sportsmen, hurt at losing etc etc " guff. Lose graciously, win with humilty. As for OFs post match "comments", how did those compare with Kieran Reid's comments after the semi-final last week?
GM's ad hominem comments on the subject add nothing to his arguments.
DavidSillince, the slopes of Mayhill.
On a trial

03 Nov 2019 14:43 pm:

TheOptimistSenior wrote:
Herefordpropforward wrote:The Corinthian spirit is then well and truly dead. Ok be careful what you wish for going forward. As a retired teacher of over 50 years , at many levels, I stood for taking part and respecting the winners and the losers. I have always been proud to see others respect that position . Of course you hurt when you lose but you front up and take it on the chin. Sorry folks I can’t sign up to their actions , apart from Mr Curry. I leave it there

Agree 100% Hpf.
The lack of grace by some of England's players was noticeable, when given their medals (and commented on by someone in SA with whom I spoke this morning). I don't buy the "professional sportsmen, hurt at losing etc etc " guff. Lose graciously, win with humilty. As for OFs post match "comments", how did those compare with Kieran Reid's comments after the semi-final last week?
GM's ad hominem comments on the subject add nothing to his arguments.

Not too bothered about the medals but compare and contrast the grace and dignity of Read (like his countryman Kane Williamson) with the lack of grace from Farrell post-match. As Kipling (not the cake fellow) wisely said: 'If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two impostors just the same; '
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 14:53 pm:

The role of captain involves both on and off field duties, OF does not seem well suited to performing the latter.

03 Nov 2019 15:24 pm:

Wayne Barnes wins Ref of the Year.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 15:41 pm:

Great to hear of success for a fellow forester
Never Stay Down.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby