RWC19 "Stuff"

Vice-Captain

Re: RWC19 "Stuff"

03 Nov 2019 15:42 pm:

Fair enough if some of you disagree with what I said about the medals. I still stand by it though, we’re all hurting after that loss so imagine how hurt the players actually are, they put themselves through hell to get there, we can’t possibly comment on them being ungracious. None of us have ever crossed that line and experienced what those boys have been through. They’re winners, they’re professional competitors and so to lose the biggest game of their lives.... I can’t imagine what that’s like. That medal would have felt horrendous as a reminder of what opportunity they’d just blown.

I think as per we are making a bigger deal out of it than needs be, the whole “England are arrogant/ungracious” tag is a bit old and boring to be honest, if they’d refused the medals then I’d take the point but they simply chose not to have them around their necks.

As for the Farrell interview, the same point as above. He’s been interviewed straight after losing the game of his life, it’s all very easy for us sitting in our arm chairs and watching on a TV to make comments, but the reality is he was clearly heartbroken

03 Nov 2019 15:46 pm:

I have to agree that some are making a mountain out of a molehill . There was no disrespect shown or given from what I saw. The only action was not to then parade about showing off what everyone calls ( players and ex pro's alike) the losers medal. They have every right to use those after being awarded them exactly as they wish. They were awarded caps on merit after an extraordinary ammount of work and sacrifice and for armchair critics to sit and blather on about disrespect is frankly pathetic. When any critic has done what any of those guys did and been through the whole emotional journey, you have a right to pass comment. The rest of us will never know the feelings and emotions they have been through. I saw no one do anything inapproprite. Radio interviews have had a host of ex players empathising with not hanging on to medals for loosing a final.
Vice-Captain

03 Nov 2019 16:19 pm:

CMGC wrote:I have to agree that some are making a mountain out of a molehill . There was no disrespect shown or given from what I saw. The only action was not to then parade about showing off what everyone calls ( players and ex pro's alike) the losers medal. They have every right to use those after being awarded them exactly as they wish. They were awarded caps on merit after an extraordinary ammount of work and sacrifice and for armchair critics to sit and blather on about disrespect is frankly pathetic. When any critic has done what any of those guys did and been through the whole emotional journey, you have a right to pass comment. The rest of us will never know the feelings and emotions they have been through. I saw no one do anything inapproprite. Radio interviews have had a host of ex players empathising with not hanging on to medals for loosing a final.

+1 , very well put

I think I remember hearing an interview some time ago with Mark Cueto who said that his silver medal from 2007 is buried in a draw somewhere in his house, no disrespect to the tournament, just a unwanted reminder of losing the RWC final
Hero in the making

03 Nov 2019 16:38 pm:

House of Rugby World Cup final debrief

Haskell's scrum rant is hilarious
Senior squad member

03 Nov 2019 17:00 pm:

I was so disappointed for the England players that I didn't watch all the second half, nor the award ceremony or the Farrell interview.
I am very disrespectful... Sorry
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 19:10 pm:

Hasnt anyone mentioned prince Harry going to the final after banging on about global warming, seems to be a bit hypocritical to me or did he sail there and back ?
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 19:25 pm:

robs1 wrote:Hasnt anyone mentioned prince Harry going to the final after banging on about global warming, seems to be a bit hypocritical to me or did he sail there and back ?

Is no one allowed to use air travel any more or is that just famous people? Global warning isn’t just about air travel.
The older I get the faster I was. Used to be known as Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 19:27 pm:

Peanutcoxy wrote:
robs1 wrote:Hasnt anyone mentioned prince Harry going to the final after banging on about global warming, seems to be a bit hypocritical to me or did he sail there and back ?

Is no one allowed to use air travel any more or is that just famous people? Global warning isn’t just about air travel. I was hoping to travel to Montpellier soon, but maybe I shouldn’t as I’m all in favour of trying to reduce global warming!
The older I get the faster I was. Used to be known as Peanutcoxy
Hero in the making

03 Nov 2019 19:31 pm:

What Mark Cueto did with his medal in 2007 is entirely his prerogative. Did he wear it after the game? In my view, wearing your medal around your neck indicates an acknowledgement of the value of the tournament and in particular the final. England were distinctly second best to SA on the day. There is no absolute right to win every match. When you lose, take it on the chin and make sure next time you win. I suspect if Italy were runners up (I know, hypothetical), they would be very happy to wear their medals
I've never seen an Olympian not wear their silver medal, but no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
As for Prince Harry, spare me, please!
DavidSillince, the slopes of Mayhill.
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 19:33 pm:

Peanutcoxy wrote:

Is no one allowed to use air travel any more or is that just famous people? Global warning isn’t just about air travel.

If the famous bleat on about global warming (and yes its more than flying ) they shouldnt be taking lots of flights all round the world for no good reason, they should be setting an example
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby