RWC19 "Stuff"

Hero in the making

Re: RWC19 "Stuff"

03 Nov 2019 22:13 pm:

Sheddy and Not1eyed, we clearly have different views.
Should I not have an opinion and therefore be judgemental about, for example, rapists, murderers etc etc despite never having been one?
In any contest, only one person can win and most athletes want a gold medal but accept a silver or bronze. Similarly in rugby
Perhaps we should agree to disagree and leave it there.
Last edited by TheOptimistSenior on 03 Nov 2019 22:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidSillince, the slopes of Mayhill.
Vice-Captain

03 Nov 2019 22:16 pm:

I can’t believe people are getting so worked up about the medals, it’s a bit of a non story that we’ve managed to turn into a thing
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 22:21 pm:

As the poster who originally brought up the medal situation I am sorry if I have offened folk but I still hold to my view, albeit that I have never played in a Rugby World Cup final. I have over the years though had to deal with many disappointments in life.
If you follow the view of why would a competitor want a second place medal , why did the New Zealand team accept and wear their bronze medals? They didn't think it was beneath them as the third place team where some England players presumably think coming second is.
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 22:24 pm:

Let me answer that: the ABs had a week to come to terms with their failure, and to reflect on it, whereas England had about 15 minutes and it was all still very raw. Good on them for hurting so much - a good sign for the future.
Cherchez la truffe
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 22:49 pm:

Hypothetically it would have been interesting to have seen what would have happened if Wales had been presented with a 4th Place sticker on Friday evening in Tokyo.

My guess would have been none too amused at all and simply wanting to get off the pitch and back to the sanctuary of their changing-room.

A complete non-story by a few.

Plus was Sonny Bill Williams being disrespectful to World Rugby/the sport when he gave away his winner's medal in 2015 ?? No. Because the medal wasn't actually that important to him...….compared to the self-knowledge of what he had done.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 22:57 pm:

ROLLO wrote:As the poster who originally brought up the medal situation I am sorry if I have offened folk but I still hold to my view, albeit that I have never played in a Rugby World Cup final. I have over the years though had to deal with many disappointments in life.
If you follow the view of why would a competitor want a second place medal , why did the New Zealand team accept and wear their bronze medals? They didn't think it was beneath them as the third place team where some England players presumably think coming second is.

Well New Zealand actually won their game so, whilst they probably wouldn't have chosen to finish 3rd at the start of the tournament, in the context of the situation they were happy to be in that position.

No one in the England team thinks coming second is beneath them and taking off the medal doesn't show that. It is so painfully obviously an expression of personal disappointment in having failed to achieve what would have been the outstanding moment of their lives and it really staggers me that anyone is suggesting otherwise.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

04 Nov 2019 02:05 am:

Don’t think you can compare Read’s very gracious speech - he was speaking from a position where he had already won 2 world cups and whilst sad at not getting to the final of a third, it is not the same as just having lost the final for the first time of trying.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Hall of Famer

04 Nov 2019 09:04 am:

Cast your minds back to the interview the great Jonathan Davies did (in Welsh) after his team failed to get to the final. He was "in bits" and hugely emotional - did anyone criticise him for only answering in the briefest of manner? No. of course not but when the England players are similarly "in bits", they are supposed to behave magnanimously? For some, this seems to be just because they are England.

I saw EVERY England player congratulate every South African player after the game, which is what counts. The medal ceremony where the losers are given medals is a meaningless spectacle and actually gets in the way of the main event where the winners are acknowledged....and South Africa were the worthiest of winners - stunning performance.

Many of that England team just lost their only chance to be RWC winners so I am with them if the loser's medal means nothing to them. I hope those young enough the play again in four years will remember how much losing the final hurt so they avoid defeat next time.

England played an excellent tournament but were well beaten by a superbly well-coached and motivated South African side who, remember, were soundly beaten in the group stages by NZ. Congratulations to the Boks and England should hold their heads high for what they brought to this tournament.
The artist formerly known as Porky

04 Nov 2019 10:02 am:

As I recall Jonny May did a similar thing in Edinburgh with his runners up medal (just before he ran off to Leicester)....it's the mindset of a winner. Coming second just doesn't matter.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

04 Nov 2019 10:21 am:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:As I recall Jonny May did a similar thing in Edinburgh with his runners up medal (just before he ran off to Leicester)....it's the mindset of a winner. Coming second just doesn't matter.

I guess thats fine if you're used to being a winner, but ...
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby