Gloucester v Bath OGT

Re: Gloucester v Bath OGT

VV 11 Oct 2019 21:46 pm said..

Found the whole evening baffling - it started with the original selection (lack of game time for key players or likely First XV as a whole); then looking the real deal for 20 mins and somewhat shambolic the next 60 and then, finally, the hoopla of all the build up to the half time announcement just for a set of re-signings (albeit the good news they represent). I guess all will become clearer over the next month. The Sale and Saracen matches will be particularly challenging but if we are to have top 2 aspirations then we aren't likely to have a better chance of beating them than playing those 2 while they suffer significant World Cup absentees (more so than us I'm going to argue). While it is the proverbial long season we really should be aiming to get the season off to a flying start so let's hope the freshness of much of our starting squad will count for us and not against (and, in turn, justify the selections in the cup competition).
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
VV
Vice-Captain

kingsholmmick 11 Oct 2019 21:47 pm said..

Well I reckon there is a cunning baldric type masterplan based around lulling the rest of the premiership into a false sense of security - it’s only glaws we don’t need to go all out ;)
But will it work ? ;)
kingsholmmick
On the board

robs1 11 Oct 2019 22:02 pm said..

While it's never good news to lose against barf it would be good to remember that both tiggers and wasps have won the premier after starting with poor results, it's a marathon not a sprint.
robs1
Hall of Famer

Asgard 11 Oct 2019 22:14 pm said..

Simples- Glaws outplayed them as if they were rabbits caught in a headlight. Bath then played it tight and got back into it at half-time. Second half started like the end of the first half - Bath kept it tight and dominated the scrum. Change of hooker who would have struggled hitting the proverbial part of a cow with a tennis racket ergo no ball. Gloucester lacked a leader who could bring it back to basics. Delighted with the first 20 minutes frustrated after that.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

Lurker 11 Oct 2019 22:16 pm said..

steckers wrote:At a recent Q&A with Ackermann - he said he really didn't agree with the cup and clearly didn't care about it at all. Said that the players were overloaded, particularly when you have a smaller squad (or a legal sized squad - that's me adding that not him!).

He expressed some concern about the 4 games coming up in Nov - 4 massive games in 4 weeks.

I think he has taken a big-picture approach and I'm fine with that.

Back to tonight - really poor performance. I don't care if you are an academy-lad. That simply wasn't good enough. I thought Tempest was poor too.

No one likes to see Glos lose any games, especially to Bath but if you believe what JA said - he Has no interest in this competition so the selections were understandable. Let’s see what happens over next few real games before we get too excited. Couldn’t make it tonight - worrying that the young forwards were that poor. Might see some shipped out and
Others come in instead.
Lurker
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 11 Oct 2019 22:24 pm said..

robs1 wrote:While it's never good news to lose against barf it would be good to remember that both tiggers and wasps have won the premier after starting with poor results, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Reverse gear in lineouts and scrums is neither a marathon nor a sprint. ;)
DieTrying

Jimbodini 11 Oct 2019 22:36 pm said..

A few concerns for me tonight, many of which have already been mentioned but for me the two young props don’t look anywhere close to premiership standard and have thought that for a while. If we ever have to use them together I think we struggle.

Very concerned that many of our first team players haven’t played together or at all yet. Not expecting us to get anything at sale.

Also seemed to be a lot of idiots in the ground tonight. Not sure if anyone else noticed it but a lot of drunks misbehaving and people generally not watching the game
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain

CMGC 11 Oct 2019 22:39 pm said..

After a quick look I reckon of the 60 starters in these last 4 warm up games we have used about 20% of the spots with players in our first choice 23. So it is no surprise that our results haven't been good. Other clubs used a different strategy as is their choice. JA hasn't got much wrong with regard to using our players and team management generally so I am prepared to accept he may be making good decisions still. We have 15 weeks I think of solid Prem and European Cup games for the first XV coming up so having them as fresh now as possible has some merit. Hopefully 2/3 of our players will be back in a week or so to help out.
CMGC

Citizen Rob 11 Oct 2019 22:54 pm said..

This is what Trevor Woodman made of it: http://bit.ly/WoodmanGloucesterBath
Citizen Rob
Vice-Captain

DieTrying 11 Oct 2019 23:09 pm said..

Citizen Rob wrote:This is what Trevor Woodman made of it: http://bit.ly/WoodmanGloucesterBath

I'm a tad worried that you wrote he's the Academy "Backs" Coach. :shock:
DieTrying
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby