Pro 14 tactics - no thanks

Pro 14 tactics - no thanks

GlawsyD 04 Dec 2019 14:38 pm said..

Unfortunately I cannot find the link (perhaps another kind soul might).

In the recent Pro 14 match between Munster and Edinburgh on two occasions the Edinburgh props were seen to lift the padding surrounding the base of the posts to prevent Munster players grounding the ball against the base padding and scoring tries. The match TMO eventually pointed this out to the (blind) referee and touch officials, suggesting that the ref should 'have words'.

Clearly such action is dangerous (and unsporting) and should be penalised. If allowed to continue and someone get injured as a consequence, the player (and their Club) responsible might also find themselves in breach of the H&S at W Act 1974 (for interrefing and misuse of equipment provided for the health and safety of themselves and others.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Re: Pro 14 tactics - no thanks

Donald 04 Dec 2019 16:28 pm said..

I've thought for a long time that the bulky padding around the post makes an unfairly large target to score a try against (after all, originally, it was the base of the post when the post was the width of the try line) and that the padding should be hoisted a foot or so up the post, leaving the base exposed for try scoring purposes. Players would still be protected because any contact with the post is most likely to be more than a foot above ground in the still padded section.
Donald
On a trial

Sheddy Mcshedface 04 Dec 2019 22:29 pm said..

I'm sorry but that is hilarious shit-housery.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Severus 05 Dec 2019 07:05 am said..

i don’t understand the criticism of the law regarding grounding the ball on the base of the pads. The defending team has conceded 10s of metres of territory by the time the attacking team can attempt to use this law to their advantage over 30cm of pad.
Severus
Hall of Famer

Oldprop 05 Dec 2019 09:53 am said..

Severus wrote:i don’t understand the criticism of the law regarding grounding the ball on the base of the pads. The defending team has conceded 10s of metres of territory by the time the attacking team can attempt to use this law to their advantage over 30cm of pad.

Agreed, it's the same for everyone so what's the problem?
Oldprop
Hall of Famer

Davers 06 Dec 2019 12:45 pm said..

Donald wrote:I've thought for a long time that the bulky padding around the post makes an unfairly large target to score a try against (after all, originally, it was the base of the post when the post was the width of the try line) and that the padding should be hoisted a foot or so up the post, leaving the base exposed for try scoring purposes. Players would still be protected because any contact with the post is most likely to be more than a foot above ground in the still padded section.

How can it be unfair?!? There are pads on the posts at both ends of the pitch!
Davers
Senior squad member

gmorgan131285 06 Dec 2019 12:58 pm said..

I think if you are outraged by this, then maybe rugby union isn't the sport for you.
gmorgan131285
Hero in the making

theoptimist 06 Dec 2019 14:17 pm said..

It would have been funny if an attacking player ‘grounded’ the ball against the base of the padding when it was hoisted up in the air...

Would have given the ref a difficult one to work through!
theoptimist
Hero in the making

Russglos 06 Dec 2019 17:50 pm said..

During my last year of secondary school, our tight head and hooker both had coal merchants for fathers and so did coal delivery rounds both before and after school.
The prop, a lovely lad, (who at the age of 15 years had a full beard and had to take his birth certificate to every game), hit his shoulder against the post while attempting to score a try from a driving maul that had collapsed.
It put him out for weeks and of course, he also couldn't help his dad. He eventually returned to play but towards the end of the season, he did the same thing again and subsequently, never played the game again because he wouldn't put at risk his ability to help with the family business.
Why tell this story?
The lad was 16 and retired from rugby, all because we never had pads on the posts, (this was in the 70s, by the way), at school, or at the local club where we also played.
They are there for a reason and the reason isn't advertising.
Russglos
Vice-Captain

Return to Gloucester Rugby