Neilio44
Hero in the making

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Jimbodini 15 Feb 2020 22:53 pm said..

Where’s he off to?
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain

TheOptimistSenior 15 Feb 2020 23:05 pm said..

Agree with Glen Sannox about the need for a nasty uncompromising pack. We need to be 100% sure that we control the scrums, mauls, rucks and line outs. Then we can let our super talented backs show their undoubted skills. I don't understand the change from last season in our pack. Was the loss of Ed Slater a bigger problem than we have acknowledged or is it deeper than one man?
TheOptimistSenior
Vice-Captain

Cherryade 16 Feb 2020 06:30 am said..

Well I don't want a 3/4 signing....we need a hard nosed forward and leader......so many times the word "leadership" or lack off is mentioned after a game. As mentioned by others in years gone by we would have all been licking our lips with conditions like that playing a top team at Kingsholm.....it was made for basic, 10 man rugby!!…..you've got to question the game plan and what the fly half is doing.

Our best period of success was when we were spoilt with the likes of Vickery, Azam, Collazo, Paramore etc......but everyone knows the fundamentals of rugby......you simply have to have a competitive pack .....it appears again that Glaws don't have this and simply it doesn't matter what we have in the backs we will always struggle to win more than lose.

To mention it again like others have, you have to question the pre-season strategy?....we started off losing, got into a losing habit and with lack lustre performances and we just havent shaken it off........played 10 in the league, lost 6......simply have to imprve this quickly or we will be struggling to even make top 6.
Cherryade
Vice-Captain

plod 16 Feb 2020 10:10 am said..

I’m not sure I understand the obsession with nastiness; there used to be clamour for an enforcer. Who in the Sarries pack would you describe as nasty, Clarke aside? Were there nasty players in the Exeter eight? We do need talented players in the team, but on paper we didn’t seem to be inferior as individuals. Even on the pitch we had lots of possession and territory but couldn’t turn it into points. That was a big problem. We aren’t playing as well as last season, that is the big conundrum for players and coaches to sort out. On Friday, we lost to a very well coached team who worked out our game and countered it. I lost count of the number of times the ball went wide and their defence just shuffled over and stifled the move. We didn’t react on the pitch.

On an aside, I fully agree that the breakdown is a mess and atrociously difficult for the referees. If Dave Ewers can support his body weight whilst leaning nearly to the ground, then he could take up occupation as a levitator. But, it wasn’t only him, of course.
plod
Hall of Famer

Peanutcoxy 16 Feb 2020 10:41 am said..

Clearly in the minority of 1 on here but I thought our pack stood up very well in Friday. There were a couple of early scrum penalties against us that I thought at the time were Chiefs pushing early. After that, I thought we were dominant and in the lineout too.

For me there were a few things that stood out on Friday. Firstly, the Chief’s defence was fantastic. Space was closed down very quickly. Woodburn was never left one on one with LRZ (apart from the try at the end). Secondly, whilst I thought our pack was dominant in the set piece, the ball carrying was blunt until Polledri and Clarke came on against a tiring defence. Thirdly, Chiefs were tactically superb and utilised their advantage in finding space and ball carrying brilliantly. Lastly, before the game I had us to win a very tight contest. However, once they started kicking their penalties, I never felt we were going to break them down and our flourish at the end, although very good, was never going to be enough.

On a side note, Hogg is a fantastic player; his try was class and demonstrates that his anomalies in the first 2 internationals were just that
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

TheOptimistSenior 16 Feb 2020 11:18 am said..

Plod, point taken re: "nasty". It was a metaphor. Perhaps hard, uncompromising and dominant would be better.
Peanutcoxy, agree to a point. The pack certainly improved as the game wore on but we never dominated them in my view.
Interesting point about Exeter's defence, it was superb , although we breached it twice.
Line speed in defence is essential, but there is fine line between legal and offside. I and others were annoyed with the AR in the second half on the Malvern Tyres stand side.
At a Glos lineout, he paced out the 10m for the defensive line, made sure Ex were correctly positioned, then, when the Ex line moved up before the line out started, he moved with them! They ended up 7m from the lineout and easily closed down Glaws attack. Infuriating
TheOptimistSenior
Vice-Captain

Peanutcoxy 16 Feb 2020 11:28 am said..

TheOptimistSenior wrote:Plod, point taken re: "nasty". It was a metaphor. Perhaps hard, uncompromising and dominant would be better.
Peanutcoxy, agree to a point. The pack certainly improved as the game wore on but we never dominated them in my view.
Interesting point about Exeter's defence, it was superb , although we breached it twice.
Line speed in defence is essential, but there is fine line between legal and offside. I and others were annoyed with the AR in the second half on the Malvern Tyres stand side.
At a Glos lineout, he paced out the 10m for the defensive line, made sure Ex were correctly positioned, then, when the Ex line moved up before the line out started, he moved with them! They ended up 7m from the lineout and easily closed down Glaws attack. Infuriating

I think you must be sitting very close to me as exactly that was called out just behind me. All clubs do it cos they know it rarely gets pinged. Agree to disagree on pack dominance; no worries. I just think Balmain and VRR learned very quickly what the ref wanted and adapted accordingly. Lots of comments about the breakdown and we do seem to get penalised a lot whereas our oppos get away with it. Maybe just my cherry and white tinted glasses
Last edited by Peanutcoxy on 16 Feb 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Herefordpropforward 16 Feb 2020 11:30 am said..

Plod - snot, blood , grit, muscle and determination. I crave for the return of nine man rugby and Clive Rowlands but I am a dinosaur. Hereford now completely cut off from the outside world - that will please the locals :roll: :lol: :D :)
West is best
Herefordpropforward
Hero in the making

Peanutcoxy 16 Feb 2020 11:33 am said..

Herefordpropforward wrote:Plod - snot, blood , grit, muscle and determination. I crave for the return of nine man rugby and Clive Rowlands but I am a dinosaur. Hereford now completely cut off from the outside world - that will please the locals :roll: :lol: :D :)

Lol, cheered me up from my sick bed
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby