Glaws V Chiefs OGT

Re: Glaws V Chiefs OGT

TP17 16 Feb 2020 11:47 am said..

I agree with Peanutcoxy. I’m slightly surprised to see suggestions that our pack isn’t up to it. We were pushing Exeter back in the scrum, and even won the ball on their feed (which is very rare these days)! On top of that, I thought Chiefs were pushing before the ball was in on a number of occasions. We nicked a couple of their lineouts too. I do agree that Jake P has to start when possible, I know he played in the 6N last weekend but he is easily our best carrier and always gets us on the front foot. We truly play differently with him on the field. I am repeatedly shocked at how much ground he can make from a standing start and the number of tackles he breaks.
TP17
Hall of Famer

Peanutcoxy 16 Feb 2020 11:57 am said..

TP17 wrote:I agree with Peanutcoxy. I’m slightly surprised to see suggestions that our pack isn’t up to it. We were pushing Exeter back in the scrum, and even won the ball on their feed (which is very rare these days)! On top of that, I thought Chiefs were pushing before the ball was in on a number of occasions. We nicked a couple of their lineouts too. I do agree that Jake P has to start when possible, I know he played in the 6N last weekend but he is easily our best carrier and always gets us on the front foot. We truly play differently with him on the field. I am repeatedly shocked at how much ground he can make from a standing start and the number of tackles he breaks.

I genuinely believe Jake is one of the best 6s in world rugby and I would have started him too but he has to be managed and only the staff can see his condition in the week leading up to the game. As disappointed as we are, Exeter are a very good side
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

cornishpixies 16 Feb 2020 12:11 pm said..

My point exactly from a couple of days ago. A very, very astute coach, imho the best I've seen anywhere. He takes a gang of journeymen players 8 or 9 years ago, when we played them, first up on their promotion, sprinkler with a few clever and at times surprising signings and voila, one of the best (legal) sides in Europe. Is HE out of contract anytime soon?
cornishpixies
On a trial

Gloucester Mute 16 Feb 2020 12:13 pm said..

Wait until next weekend PeanutCoxy !!

London Irish, also a good side, will be dogged opponents and coming off their 5-pointer away at The Stoop will be more than a match (IMHO) for our boys.

IF we lose (which I would not bet against) I expect there to be complete and utter melt-down on this site !!

GRFC supporters are a fickle lot and with our current squad and coaching-team coupled with the club's finances/needs I sense massive over-expectation from the terraces.

Some realism is needed.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1874  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Peanutcoxy 16 Feb 2020 12:23 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:Wait until next weekend PeanutCoxy !!

London Irish, also a good side, will be dogged opponents and coming off their 5-pointer away at The Stoop will be more than a match (IMHO) for our boys.

IF we lose (which I would not bet against) I expect there to be complete and utter melt-down on this site !!

GRFC supporters are a fickle lot and with our current squad and coaching-team coupled with the club's finances/needs I sense massive over-expectation from the terraces.

Some realism is needed.

Human nature to expect the same, if not more, year on year. Sport has a nasty habit of biting you on the proverbial. No one is entitled to anything. You generally get what you deserve
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Lambpie 16 Feb 2020 15:22 pm said..

Peanutcoxy wrote:
TheOptimistSenior wrote:Plod, point taken re: "nasty". It was a metaphor. Perhaps hard, uncompromising and dominant would be better.
Peanutcoxy, agree to a point. The pack certainly improved as the game wore on but we never dominated them in my view.
Interesting point about Exeter's defence, it was superb , although we breached it twice.
Line speed in defence is essential, but there is fine line between legal and offside. I and others were annoyed with the AR in the second half on the Malvern Tyres stand side.
At a Glos lineout, he paced out the 10m for the defensive line, made sure Ex were correctly positioned, then, when the Ex line moved up before the line out started, he moved with them! They ended up 7m from the lineout and easily closed down Glaws attack. Infuriating

I think you must be sitting very close to me as exactly that was called out just behind me. All clubs do it cos they know it rarely gets pinged. Agree to disagree on pack dominance; no worries. I just think Balmain and VRR learned very quickly what the ref wanted and adapted accordingly. Lots of comments about the breakdown and we do seem to get penalised a lot whereas our oppos get away with it. Maybe just my cherry and white tinted glasses

Same here, Block K row H
Lambpie
Hero in the making

Peanutcoxy 16 Feb 2020 15:26 pm said..

Lambpie wrote:
Peanutcoxy wrote:
TheOptimistSenior wrote:Plod, point taken re: "nasty". It was a metaphor. Perhaps hard, uncompromising and dominant would be better.
Peanutcoxy, agree to a point. The pack certainly improved as the game wore on but we never dominated them in my view.
Interesting point about Exeter's defence, it was superb , although we breached it twice.
Line speed in defence is essential, but there is fine line between legal and offside. I and others were annoyed with the AR in the second half on the Malvern Tyres stand side.
At a Glos lineout, he paced out the 10m for the defensive line, made sure Ex were correctly positioned, then, when the Ex line moved up before the line out started, he moved with them! They ended up 7m from the lineout and easily closed down Glaws attack. Infuriating

I think you must be sitting very close to me as exactly that was called out just behind me. All clubs do it cos they know it rarely gets pinged. Agree to disagree on pack dominance; no worries. I just think Balmain and VRR learned very quickly what the ref wanted and adapted accordingly. Lots of comments about the breakdown and we do seem to get penalised a lot whereas our oppos get away with it. Maybe just my cherry and white tinted glasses

Same here, Block K row H

Row F 83/84 for me and Mrs PC
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

carterb121 16 Feb 2020 15:31 pm said..

Northampton getting away with murder on the floor, not the first time either! When Glos push the boundaries of legality we never seem to get the break!
carterb121
Vice-Captain
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby