COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

14 Dec 2021 14:48 pm:

Interesting view from SA on Omicron:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... 1639489009
aka John Neary

14 Dec 2021 15:09 pm:

Norway has banned the sale of alcohol in all hospitality venues in response to the threat of a potential “contagion bomb” caused by the omicron coronavirus variant, health chiefs have said.

From midnight on 14 December, bars and restaurants will be prohibited from selling booze for at least four weeks, alongside other restrictions, Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Store confirmed. :shock: :shock:
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

14 Dec 2021 15:29 pm:

DieTrying wrote:Interesting view from SA on Omicron:

Good article, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I especially liked the bit about T-cell immunity, as that backed up what I wrote two weeks ago. With the over 50s already having their booster and back up to good levels of protection, we should see deaths continuing to fall. Last week was the 2nd week in a row where deaths were below 1,000. We should now see a swing back in the direction of those unvaccinated. Darwin comes knocking again.
Hall of Famer

14 Dec 2021 16:09 pm:

tigerchef wrote:
With the over 50s already having their booster and back up to good levels of protection, we should see deaths continuing to fall. Last week was the 2nd week in a row where deaths were below 1,000. We should now see a swing back in the direction of those unvaccinated. Darwin comes knocking again.

Although the article you posted yesterday suggested that vaccine protection only lasts 3 months - our most vulnerable started receiving their boosters in September, so...
Hall of Famer

14 Dec 2021 16:30 pm:

The article did state that the booster should last for 3-6 months. But looking at the data from the link I posted earlier, it wouldn't surprise me if it all started again in January. The Vaccine manufacturers have already stated that they should have adjusted it by the end of January, so who knows?
Hall of Famer

14 Dec 2021 17:28 pm:

Interesting article - I had noticed this hypothesis elsewhere. Obviously we all hope its simply a much milder strain. But if not, then the UK should be in a similarly strong position as we've had high infection numbers throughout the pandemic and then couple that with our high vaccination rates.

Clearly herd immunity is the only way we'll get through this.
Hall of Famer

14 Dec 2021 20:05 pm:

I keep hearing about herd immunity (Toby Young called it in London in July) when does this kick in so our case numbers fall and what makes you so sure new mutations will not arise which circumvent this?
Hall of Famer

14 Dec 2021 21:11 pm:

Nothing makes me certain of anything - but the article that Die Trying posted answers this. New variant causing less problems than previous waves due to high % of the population having anti-bodies.

Pretty much what the scientists were saying from day 1.
Hall of Famer

15 Dec 2021 10:29 am:

lovejoy wrote:I keep hearing about herd immunity (Toby Young called it in London in July) when does this kick in so our case numbers fall and what makes you so sure new mutations will not arise which circumvent this?

In fairness it was in common medical use in 1916 so you really shouldn't tar herd immunity as a product of Toby Young's imagination.
Hall of Famer

15 Dec 2021 14:30 pm:

Press conference today at 5pm. What a great opportunity to learn more about Omicron and the state of play in the UK. Obviously there are some first bits of data coming out of SA etc.

I'm sure that's what all the questions will be about and not more of the merry go around re quizzes and parties.
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support