New Players Union ?

Re: New Players Union ?

colinboag 06 Jun 2020 18:43 pm said..

I can't square away how people moan about Sarries, Bath and Bristol, but can't see that marquee players is a big part of the problem. Some clubs are playing with a budget of less than £7M, others are spending nearer to £9M, and the Premiership losses are over £80M in total. It's madness.

The cap needs to be set at around £5M to £5.5M, with no marquee players on top. Enforce that and most clubs will break even or be profitable, and if every club was spending the same, the league would be properly competitive (and we'd quickly find out who were the best and shrewdest coaches!)

We'd suffer in Europe for a while against the moneybags Irish and French (although reality might hit them too!), but after a few years we could start to edge the cap up again, but in a controlled fashion.
Cherchez la truffe
colinboag
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 06 Jun 2020 18:44 pm said..

colinboag wrote:Can anyone explain what's wrong with GM's post? It made me smile, and I agree with him!

Nothing wrong with his post.
Lebowski
Dude

CMGC 06 Jun 2020 18:57 pm said..

The new union was being talked about several weeks ago. It came out of frustration that the Prem pays for Hopley etc. and as such is potentialy compromised. The players union has been very good at lots of things but hasgiven no real edge to player welfare in term sof playing hours et. i.e anything that might impact the Prem and it's masters.
The fact this initiative exists is putely down to the failings of the RPA. ( however good they may be a some aspects of their role).
CMGC

Camel 06 Jun 2020 19:08 pm said..

colinboag wrote:I can't square away how people moan about Sarries, Bath and Bristol, but can't see that marquee players is a big part of the problem. Some clubs are playing with a budget of less than £7M, others are spending nearer to £9M, and the Premiership losses are over £80M in total. It's madness.

The cap needs to be set at around £5M to £5.5M, with no marquee players on top. Enforce that and most clubs will break even or be profitable, and if every club was spending the same, the league would be properly competitive (and we'd quickly find out who were the best and shrewdest coaches!)

We'd suffer in Europe for a while against the moneybags Irish and French (although reality might hit them too!), but after a few years we could start to edge the cap up again, but in a controlled fashion.

I completely agree. The only advantage of marquee players and a higher cap is for English sides to compete in Europe. It essentially, on a competitive level, makes no difference at all in the prem.

Bring the cap down, take away the marquee players and let’s make the game in England financially sustainable, at least for a few years.

The other positive of this is we’d see more youngsters and academy prospects coming through. That can only be good for clubs as well as the national side.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

madders 06 Jun 2020 19:28 pm said..

+1. Maybe ring fence the Premiership too.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

spanish exile 07 Jun 2020 03:52 am said..

Camel wrote:
colinboag wrote:I can't square away how people moan about Sarries, Bath and Bristol, but can't see that marquee players is a big part of the problem. Some clubs are playing with a budget of less than £7M, others are spending nearer to £9M, and the Premiership losses are over £80M in total. It's madness.

I completely agree. The only advantage of marquee players and a higher cap is for English sides to compete in Europe. It essentially, on a competitive level, makes no difference at all in the prem.

Bring the cap down, take away the marquee players and let’s make the game in England financially sustainable, at least for a few years.

The other positive of this is we’d see more youngsters and academy prospects coming through. That can only be good for clubs as well as the national side.

Totally agree that something needs to be done to make Clubs more financially stable but I also think that without regular outside investment pro rugby as we know it is not viable.
Its a bit like the lower league football Clubs income wise but on Premiership budgets cost wise -- something must surely give starting with a lower Cap & removal of marquee players even if it means less chance in Europe.
spanish exile
Hero in the making

shedwebadmin 07 Jun 2020 08:08 am said..

Presumably if a club were to look at least like a plausible going concern, then it would be an easier thing to sell..

Might not matter to the moneybags owners, but if the only interest you can muster is from a gazillionaire, your chances of shifting the millstone are surely minuscule in comparison..

Rugby had its chance to show how professionalism could be done right, and is rapidly allowing it to get out of hand.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
shedwebadmin
Site Admin

Gloucester Mute 19 Jun 2020 07:27 am said..

Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Gb83 19 Jun 2020 13:01 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:Not happening any more...……..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ers-union/

Genge was on this weeks house of rugby, doesn’t seem like the interest was there.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 19 Jun 2020 14:16 pm said..

More likely that he (and his mate) were bowled over by how much complex work a Player's Union is involved in !! ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby