Academy Prospects

Academy Prospects

Face 29 Jun 2020 11:32 am said..

Given the statement from LB where the academy will be a point of focus, the fact we do have some gaps in our senior squad and that last year the Academy produced Alex Craig and LRZ as nailed on first teamers, i thought it would be good to focus a thread on the talent within rather than the usual Shedweb fantasy rugby of 'sign an international tighthead'! Both Exeter and Sarries built their table toppers on a core of home grown talent that took them to the top. Whilst it was great to sign world class players in Mostert ect, the salary cap and EQP credits make it a much better business model to promote from within.

I confess, i don't watch the A league and so have only seen a fleeting view of most of our players so thought the thread would be useful for the more experienced watchers to comment.

To start with a few:

George Barton - Saw him a few times for England u20 and in particular the game vs Wales at Kingsholm. Thought he went ok even though his goal kicking was off target. Under the influence of Cips, he could progress well. Not expecting to see him in the 1XV with Cips, Lloyd Evans and Billy Twelvetrees in the coming year but one to keep an eye on

Olly Adkins - Loose head prop who has been in the England u20 mix for a couple of seasons. Dont expect props to be ready for the Premiership until early 20s however last season our young front row (Knight, Seville) proved there is a pathway to step up.

Stephen Varney - Exciting prospect and another talent off the Hartpury production line. Will start as 4th choice SH in the squad. Will be interesting to see what opportunities he and Charlie Chapman get to cement there places at the club. We have lost Vellacott and Robson in recent years. With both Simpson and Heinz over 30 then Varney needs to be supported into being a long term product.

Jack Clement With Hinkley leaving for Exeter, eyes are on the next back row off the production line. Lots a talk about Josh Gray however Clement caught my eye off the bench against Wales for the u20s where he was busy and a nuisance around the rucks.

Jack Reeves Played for England u20 in 2019 and wondered about his credentials. He is a natural 13 and with the likes of Harris being away on international duty and Henry Trinder being fragile, he may be an option we need to call on. He will have to compete with the likes of Seabrook or Banahan being moved into from the wing.
Face
Senior squad member

Re: Academy Prospects

Sheddy Mcshedface 29 Jun 2020 11:57 am said..

Most impressive thing about George Barton for me was his physicality. Was more than willing to drop a shoulder and make his tackles which is always nice to see from a fly half.
Keyser Sose
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 29 Jun 2020 12:13 pm said..

With so many reductions in squad sizes I am concerned that there will be little scope/opportunity for the A-League to operate. And the other Cup competition designed for Academy players etc; isn't happening this season.

It may well be that our younger Academy players are mainly performing on-loan at the likes of Hartpury, Moseley, Cinderford and Clifton. The main thing is that they are playing rugby rather than just training ad nauseam or being used as oppo in training. Would hope that Peter Walton is all over this - he certainly has the nous and experience of bringing through players.
Last edited by Gloucester Mute on 29 Jun 2020 16:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2411  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Legendoft'Autostrada 29 Jun 2020 12:24 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:With so many reductions in squad sizes I am concerned that there will be little scope/opportunity for the A-League to operate. And the other Cup competition designed for Academy players etc; isn't happening this season.

It may well be that our younger Academy players are mainly performing on-loan at the likes of Hartpury, Moseley, Cinderford and Clifton. The main thing is that they are playing rugby rather than just training ad nauseam or being used as oppo in training. Would hope that Peter Buxton is all over this - he certainly has the nous and experience of bringing through players.

Do you mean Peter Walton? Bucko left the academy set-up many months ago!
Legendoft'Autostrada
Leg-end

VV 29 Jun 2020 12:54 pm said..

I think it's a good question to ask, especially given the emphasis in this morning's Radio Glos interview placed on bringing through more talent from the Academy. And I imagine in these cost-constrained times all Clubs will be looking to do more of the same. I can point to a number of successful transitions but overall I don't feel our record is that great but that's gut instinct rather than researched evidence.
What is obvious is the jump up is considerable and I haven't seen enough of our current crop of youngsters to make any informed judgement, so look forward to views of others who have. My one observation, when I have seen some of them in the odd pre-season game or the 7s, is that we often seem to lose out in the physicality stakes, although it could be that they are up against youngsters who are a few years older, which can make all the difference I guess in terms of development.
Neil Vincent
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
VV
Vice-Captain

Sheddy Mcshedface 29 Jun 2020 13:34 pm said..

Also on the above I understood that Josh Gray was considered the reason why the club were able to countenance allowing Hinckley to leave. Hopefully turns out to be the right call!
Keyser Sose
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

TP17 29 Jun 2020 14:55 pm said..

Well Eddie Jones certainly sees something in Josh Gray as he had him training with the senior England squad during the 6N.
TP17
Hall of Famer

Ken Burney 29 Jun 2020 16:21 pm said..

It may well be David Humphreys' greatest legacy with him having beefed up our academy over the last few years and with bringing in Peter Walton.

I think that Gloucester is one of several clubs which will need to find an increasing number of academy graduates to populate their first team squad over the next few years. To me, that is no bad thing. It has been lovely to see the likes of Alex Craig, Louis Rees-Zammit and Ollie Thorley come through the ranks in the last couple of seasons.

If we can bring more young lads through our academy system then we may be able to build up more of a club culture. Lewis Ludlow made it clear recently that he was more than happy to re-sign for our club.

To quote that old cliche, I like to see players who play for the shirt. That is probably more likely with players which we have nurtured ourselves.
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 29 Jun 2020 16:35 pm said..

I did indeed Legend. Believe Bucko left to move with his family to China for his wife's job. Edited.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2411  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Face 07 Jul 2020 12:56 pm said..

Any Hartpury prospects over 6 foot 6? Any young locks that the wider Shedweb community need to look at?
Face
Senior squad member
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby