Tigers contract rebels....sign or be released on 30 June

Tigers contract rebels....sign or be released on 30 June

chumba 30 Jun 2020 10:33 am said..

Per today's Times - partial extract if that's ok with copyright?

Manu Tuilagi, George Ford and Ellis Genge are among the Leicester Tigers contract rebels who face being released by the club unless they agree new deals by tonight.

The England trio have so far declined to sign revised terms as part of the club’s urgent bid to reduce their wage bill, in what appears to be a game of brinkmanship with Leicester.

When the Gallagher Premiership clubs voted to reduce the base level of the salary cap from £6.4 million to £5 million, there was a scramble to re-sign players on amended contracts. In many cases, players were offered longer contracts but at a reduced rate, against the backdrop of threats of a permanent 25 per cent pay reduction. Ben Youngs, Tom Youngs and Dan Cole are among the big names at Leicester to have signed such deals. About a dozen Leicester players — including Tuilagi, 29, Ford, 27, and Genge, 25 — are still holding out. The club have set a deadline of 5pm today for those players to declare whether they are in or out.
chumba
Vice-Captain

Re: Tigers contract rebels....sign or be released on 30 June

Clive's Pants 30 Jun 2020 11:03 am said..

Wouldn't it be ironic if they ended up at Saracens!?
Clive's Pants
Hall of Famer

Neilio44 30 Jun 2020 11:16 am said..

Whatever happens now, I'm sure this will have created an unhealthy divide between the players at Leicester. I hope not, but fear it has.
If it's wet, drink it.
Neilio44
Hero in the making

SirHenry 30 Jun 2020 11:19 am said..

LH

Genge
VRR
Hoeneck
Knight / Seville
Adkins

T/H
Balmain
Hoeneck
Knight / JFR
Jack Stanley

Would that do?
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
Hall of Famer

Steve M 30 Jun 2020 11:22 am said..

Could Leicester actually release players who are still in contract ? Surely they would either have to pay them off to the end of their current contracts to terminate employment or find someone else to take them on and even then do they have to leave if they choose not to ?
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

madders 30 Jun 2020 11:30 am said..

Perhaps the "Leicester lockdown" is to stop their stars leaving! :D
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
madders
Hall of Famer

ROLLO 30 Jun 2020 11:32 am said..

I am not sure who would have the space in the cap to sign these players with big salary aspirations.
ROLLO
Hall of Famer

chumba 30 Jun 2020 11:34 am said..

Looks like they will have their current contracts terminated if they don't agree to new deals:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... tures.html

Sounds like one for the employment lawyers, but the choice is stark as no other English club would be in a cap position to offer these players a contract. If so it's off to France / Japan, where they will then lose £300k+ a year from being ineligible to play for England. I think the players will blink first.
chumba
Vice-Captain

King Prawn Bhuna 30 Jun 2020 11:45 am said..

Tigers have been a cornerstone and benchmark for professional rugby in England. They are up for sale with no prospective buyers and now this. It is a sad day for professional rugby in England.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna

SonofPricey 30 Jun 2020 11:52 am said..

I thought Gloucester were supposed to be the worst run club in English rugby? Apparently not only Leicester, but Irish are also potentially in trouble too.

I fully expect the players to cave in when they realise that offers aren’t forthcoming from other clubs. With the exception of Genge (everyone needs decent props). Ford and Tuilangi are expensive luxuries.
SonofPricey
Hero in the making
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby