Aston Martin F1 return

Re: Aston Martin F1 return

13 Dec 2021 13:37 pm:

It is how F1 works. There are a miriad of rules and regs to cover all sorts of things. You have to cover a strategy that considers the impact of a safety car at any point of the race. Verstapen lost out in the same way earlier in the season.
Merc could also have gone in for tyres as Red bull did but decided the risk wasn't worth it. All part of sport. Mercedes are juast as good as using the rules and regs as any other team and sometimes gambles don't pay off. They have had a few good breaks earlier in the season. Shame there is so much bleating from Merc and calls that they thought the race was manipulated against them. !!!! No one likes a bad loser.
Hall of Famer

13 Dec 2021 16:52 pm:

But if they'd gone in and been second and the race director had unilaterally decided finish the race under the safety car they'd have looked foolish. Again, unilateral decisions by the race directors decided this, clearly. I can't see how Merc could have done anything different unless they could tell what the race director was going to do.

14 Dec 2021 23:42 pm:

And that is sport. Merc discussed doing a pit stop and decided not to risk it. Red bull took the gamble and it paid off. Those gambles have been going on all season and this time it worked for Reb Bull. FI is a team game with the driver only a part of it.

15 Dec 2021 00:02 am:

I'm not a lover of F1, nor Hamilton, but thought I'd watch the last 10-15 laps. The Rules say either all lapped cars pass the safety car or none. Therefore the Race Director broke his own rules. The fact that he only let the lapped drivers between Hamilton and Verstappen pass, smacks of a contrived finish. You are correct in that Mercedes didn't make the Pitstop, but under the rules they didn't need to as the win was nailed on, well, until the RD decided to randomly change the rules on the last lap. If F1 / FIA thought they'd get more followers due to the closeness of the championships, I'd say that after that farce they won't, well apart from some more Dutch fans. My main gripe is that any driver that gets a solid lead, is done over by some other drivers ineptitude, leading to a SC, where that well earned lead is lost. That cannot be right and a way to retain that lead needs to be looked at. Personally, I won't bother watching again. As for Verstappen winning the BBC World Sporting Personality? Not a chance in hell.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

15 Dec 2021 12:03 pm:

Agreed Dietrying. They have to decide whether they want to be credible sport but this may result in boring viewing if a team/driver is dominant or exciting contrived sport, much like wrestling. It looks like the latter, so it's a no from me.
Hall of Famer

15 Dec 2021 19:49 pm:

DieTrying wrote:The Rules say either all lapped cars pass the safety car or none. Therefore the Race Director broke his own rules. The fact that he only let the lapped drivers between Hamilton and Verstappen pass, smacks of a contrived finish.

The first thing I will say is that 5 cars or all cars is a bit of an irrelevance: the un-lapping took place on the back straight and then Lewis slowed the field right down. 5 cars or all cars, they would all have been well out of the way once the race proper started again. However, Masi saying that he would not let lapped cars through and seemingly changing his mind after Christian Horner's "We only need one lap" radio message was anything but a good look - I don't think Masi favoured either side, but his reaction to the team principles and not the situation on track opens the door to the contrivance charge.

DieTrying wrote:My main gripe is that any driver that gets a solid lead, is done over by some other drivers ineptitude, leading to a SC, where that well earned lead is lost. That cannot be right and a way to retain that lead needs to be looked at.

There are options beyond the SC open to the FIA here - a VSC is one such tool, and I will admit that my immediate thought was that the race was going to be Red flagged given that Latifi was sat sideways on the racing line on the exit of a fairly blind corner. A SC is never perfect, for the racing, but it does make the track much safer for the recovery crew and race marshals who have to deal with the incident. Their safety is always the number one concern.

Fair play to Red Bull though, they didn't have Hamilton's pace but they kept rolling the dice and got a 6 when it mattered. Sometimes sport is decided by luck.

The last thing I will say is that I hope they do away with the FIA/Team radio. Hearing Christian Horner and Toto Wolff moan and complain is utterly unedifying and ruins a sport that should be about the zenith of man and machine.
Hall of Famer

15 Dec 2021 22:08 pm:

If you read the rest of your post I don’t think you can conclude that Masi didn’t favour one side. He caved in to Horners pressure.

Also if all the cars had been let through would Verstappen not have been under pressure for third from Sainz? I don’t see how you can say it didn’t matter who they let through.

15 Dec 2021 22:18 pm:

So, it's everyones fault except for the FIA and RD:

The decision by F1 race director Michael Masi to only allow select backmarkers to unlap themselves behind the safety car, and restart the race one lap before the sporting regulations dictate, has prompted a huge backlash from fans and media.

While the FIA stewards rejected a protest from Mercedes that the sporting regulations had been broken, as they insisted that other rules give Masi carte blanche to do what he wants with the safety car, the governing body has now chosen to respond to a growing wave of criticism of the sport.

Following discussions at a meeting of the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Wednesday, it was announced that a detailed analysis will now be undertaken to look at what happened and see what lessons can be applied for 2022.

In a statement, the FIA blamed a ‘misunderstanding’ from fans and teams about the rules for the extent of the fallout afterwards, but did at least admit that the situation was hurting F1.

“The circumstances surrounding the use of the Safety Car following the incident of driver Nicholas Latifi, and the related communications between the FIA Race Direction team and the Formula 1 teams, have notably generated significant misunderstanding and reactions from Formula 1 teams, drivers and fans,” said the statement.

“[It is] an argument that is currently tarnishing the image of the Championship and the due celebration of the first Drivers' World Championship title won by Max Verstappen and the eighth consecutive Constructors' World Championship title won by Mercedes.”
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

15 Dec 2021 22:26 pm:

lovejoy wrote:If you read the rest of your post I don’t think you can conclude that Masi didn’t favour one side. He caved in to Horners pressure.

Does not favour as in hold no bias to one side or the other. I agree that he appeared to cave to pressure.

lovejoy wrote:Also if all the cars had been let through would Verstappen not have been under pressure for third from Sainz? I don’t see how you can say it didn’t matter who they let through.

Not a chance that a RB on fresh Softs would be under any pressure from a Ferrari on worn Hards unless Verstappen cocked up his restart properly.
Hall of Famer

15 Dec 2021 22:50 pm:

DieTrying wrote:So, it's everyones fault except for the FIA and RD:

The decision by F1 race director Michael Masi to only allow select backmarkers to unlap themselves behind the safety car, and restart the race one lap before the sporting regulations dictate, has prompted a huge backlash from fans and media.

While the FIA stewards rejected a protest from Mercedes that the sporting regulations had been broken, as they insisted that other rules give Masi carte blanche to do what he wants with the safety car, the governing body has now chosen to respond to a growing wave of criticism of the sport.

Following discussions at a meeting of the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Wednesday, it was announced that a detailed analysis will now be undertaken to look at what happened and see what lessons can be applied for 2022.

In a statement, the FIA blamed a ‘misunderstanding’ from fans and teams about the rules for the extent of the fallout afterwards, but did at least admit that the situation was hurting F1.

“The circumstances surrounding the use of the Safety Car following the incident of driver Nicholas Latifi, and the related communications between the FIA Race Direction team and the Formula 1 teams, have notably generated significant misunderstanding and reactions from Formula 1 teams, drivers and fans,” said the statement.

“[It is] an argument that is currently tarnishing the image of the Championship and the due celebration of the first Drivers' World Championship title won by Max Verstappen and the eighth consecutive Constructors' World Championship title won by Mercedes.”

Y'see, this is what happens when organisations start to run themselves by reacting to Twitter as if it is a reasonable and balance representation of opinion rather than a broiling soup of hyperbole cooked up by the permanently infantile and offended. You get the farce of F1 prolonging their own show-trial... What are they honestly going to do? Change the result now?!

As for those who say that this has tarnished their interest in F1, pft... See ya then. Next season sees the biggest change in aero regs since they banned skirts and if similar changes in IndyCar are anything to go by then there's a possibility of actual motor racing that doesn't rely on pitstop strategies and the gimic that is DRS. I can't wait.

And I don't think I said it was anyone's 'fault' DT. A better summary of my comment and view would be 'we all need to calm down a bit'.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby