Chiefs change of heart on horizon?

Hall of Famer

Re: Chiefs change of heart on horizon?

14 Dec 2021 13:12 pm:

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:Well personally, if I was Native American I would feel very insulted if you claimed the Exeter crowd were misappropriating my culture, I wouldn't want to be associated with the idiots.

Do the Glasgow Warriors owe their name in some way to Braveheart? Are Saracens an issue for Muslims?

What we are doing is gradually levelling everything down, give it a couple of years and all teams will have to play in magnolia kit in front of a silent crowd.

Well here is what native Americans actually think about so I assume they wouldn't want you on their side.

https://www.rugbyworld.com/news/ncai-ca ... ing-133151

As for your examples they aren't really relevant. If Glasgow Warriors, a Scottish rugby club, chose to take their identity from a figure from Scottish history then that would actually be quite appropriate.

With regard to Saracens, well go and find me someone anywhere on the planet who identifies as a "Saracen" and we can have a conversation about whether it's a problem.

As has been mentioned countless times it is entirely possible for Exeter to keep the chiefs moniker whilst branding in a manner that actually relates to their geographical/cultural/historical identity.

Nothing is being graded down we are just living in a world where people are just being asked to show a bit of respect.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

14 Dec 2021 16:02 pm:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:With regard to Saracens, well go and find me someone anywhere on the planet who identifies as a "Saracen" and we can have a conversation about whether it's a problem.

Well Wasps complained to the RFU about the use of the Fez and other Saracens marketing as recently as October so presumably somebody does.
Hero in the making

14 Dec 2021 17:02 pm:

Whilst I suspect that there is nearly no ill feeling towards them, this shouldn't continue. If they feel insulted by these actions/displays then who are we to judge? Do Exeter NEED to retain this branding? No. they can simply put things right and stop irritating the people they claim to be a part of. There is an easy way forward, but Exeter will not take it.
On the board

14 Dec 2021 17:50 pm:

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:
Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:With regard to Saracens, well go and find me someone anywhere on the planet who identifies as a "Saracen" and we can have a conversation about whether it's a problem.

Well Wasps complained to the RFU about the use of the Fez and other Saracens marketing as recently as October so presumably somebody does.

Did we? That's news to me. Are you sure you're not getting confused with our statement: "Faux Native American Headdresses"
on 12th Oct 2021?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
¡No pasarán!

15 Dec 2021 01:01 am:

Where did you source that piece from? All I know of is spurious article in the Telegraph where another two bit journo made reference to Fezs' being banned next. So if you can point me to the source I'd be grateful.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

15 Dec 2021 06:35 am:

My understanding is that Wasps did not complain about the use of the Fez, rather they asked the RFU to make a ruling on them.
Senior squad member

15 Dec 2021 06:58 am:

I have no idea where the Wasps story came from. Wasps did not seek guidance on the fez. Why would they? Saracens haven't come to Coventry this season.

They did, however, seek guidance on the headdresses, etc.
Hall of Famer

15 Dec 2021 10:20 am:

Dude

15 Dec 2021 10:39 am:

There is nothing in that article to support your statement that Wasps complained about the use of the Fez.
On the board

15 Dec 2021 10:56 am:

Here is the link to the Wasps' statement - if anyone cares to read it.

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/club-statement-faux-native-american-headdresses/

"Other cultural signifiers" is very vague and it is Hugh Godwin who is jumping to the conclusion that it is aimed at the Cheats' fezzes

Looks like Dr Who is up sh*t creek.
Attachments
Four-Fezzes.jpg
SLAVA UKRAINI!
¡No pasarán!
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby & more