Rumours

Re: Rumours

ShedOrDead 17 Mar 2019 07:45 am said..

Staggy wrote:
ladypochita wrote:TRP saying 7 clubs interested in signing Cipriani including Bath and Bristol.

After yesterday the 7 clubs should include Sarries!

After this season, only 7...?
ShedOrDead
On the board

King Prawn Bhuna 17 Mar 2019 10:20 am said..

ladypochita wrote:TRP saying 7 clubs interested in signing Cipriani including Bath and Bristol.

After his performances this season only 7...or is that just in England?
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

ladypochita 17 Mar 2019 10:24 am said..

Only in England
ladypochita
Hero in the making

Asgard 17 Mar 2019 11:01 am said..

If what TRP says is his salary (£190k) I'm surprised that there are no Championship sides in the race, too.
Come on Gloucester, break the bank to sign him for another three years.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

allgold123 17 Mar 2019 14:19 pm said..

Whilst I understand the “give him what he wants” etc, in a realistic world it’s simply not that easy.

If DC signed a two year deal at 190k p/a then I imagine that was pretty much at the very top of what GRFC could afford within the salary cap for that period.

Nothing has changed, no big name/big wage departures, DC cannot be a marquee player, but even if he could, we have already filled the quota for marquee players.

So unless we want to start working our way round the cap like we all criticise clubs that do, I can’t see how there is much wiggle room in terms of what they are paying him.

DC signed a two-year deal at that agreed wage and I don’t really expect Glaws had planned for him staying beyond that, and certainly not planned for increasing a wage 8 months into a 2 year deal.

I guess we will see what happens, but whilst other teams may not respect the Salary cap, I believe Glaws always have done and that shouldn’t change under one players demands.

All speculation of course.
allgold123
Turns out for the A team

steckers 17 Mar 2019 15:25 pm said..

Glos simply have to find a way to get this sorted.

What concerns me is he leaves late in the season and there isn't enough time to find a replacement.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Neilio44 17 Mar 2019 16:06 pm said..

I'm wondering about ways around the salary cap if a player was employed as a player/coach, as coaches aren't included with the cap.

Hypothetically, could we pay Golden Wrists £500k/year, split 50/50 between the two roles? Therefore only contributing £250k to the cap?

Grasping at straws?? Maybe :-)
If it's wet, drink it.
Neilio44
Hero in the making

Jimbodini 17 Mar 2019 16:10 pm said..

There are clearly ways around the cap- as has been shown by sarries. We should follow suit to allow cips to stay.

Seeing him play for another premiership club next season would be devastating.
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain

Lord Lucan 17 Mar 2019 16:51 pm said..

We should retain the player if we can afford to, what we definitely should not do is go along the Saracens route of tens of millions of losses.
Lord Lucan
Hall of Famer

steckers 17 Mar 2019 16:56 pm said..

I'm not sure anyone is advocating that. But if Glos want to be competing at the top of the table you really do need a decent 10. They have an opportunity to do just that and it should be taken.

I suspect he wants to stay - so perhaps it doesn't need to be the highest offer but should be competitive.
steckers
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby