England v South Africa

Re: England v South Africa

Wolves Biffo 14 Jun 2018 18:24 pm said..

Recovery at sea level will no doubt be quicker with more O2. There is an argument for flying in to play and returning to base soon after, based on potentially more O2 at sea level. Agree that to acclimatize properly would need several weeks, at least 2-3 and maybe 3-4 weeks. I have worked at around 10,000 ft and altitude does make a difference in how you plan your day. Even those who have climbed Ben Nevis will have noticed the relatively thinner air up there. EJ will not be short of medical and sports advice, so he'll know what is best for his campaign.
Wolves Biffo
Senior squad member

TheOptimistSenior 14 Jun 2018 19:28 pm said..

Baylion wrote:...The altitude issue is an interesting one. Michael Lynagh, I think, once said that it becomes like breathing through a straw later in the game.

The Kiwi teams don't seem to have too much of a problem with it anymore as they play at altitude every year and have worked out how to negate it - super fit players, using some key players off the bench rather than starting, slowing the game down in the last 20 minutes, etc. The timing of using the bench is important too.

The Lions tend to use an impact bench to speed up the game in the last quarter, especially at Ellis Park. Fortunately for England the Bok bench, apart from Akker van der Merwe and Warrick Gelant, isn't really an impact bench.

Very interesting Baylion, about altitude and the Kiwis.
It is clear that you need probably 3-4 weeks to achieve physiological acclimatisation. However, training at altitude for 5 - 7 days before a match might help in the process of pacing during the match. England started at high intensity and may have paid the price later in the game. Just a thought. Contrary to my earlier post, I'm sure the "medics" in the England camp know what's best, but it would be interesting to know the rationale for staying at sea level.
TheOptimistSenior
Vice-Captain

LowerO 14 Jun 2018 19:32 pm said..

TheOptimistSenior wrote: ... but it would be interesting to know the rationale for staying at sea level.

Much nicer hotel and free bar?
LowerO
Vice-Captain

Lurker 14 Jun 2018 21:09 pm said..

And some sea ......
Lurker
Hall of Famer

plod 15 Jun 2018 06:29 am said..

With sharks, according to Jonny.
plod
On the board

Castle Grim Reaper 15 Jun 2018 07:29 am said..

We had a reptile show and a barbecue so that the boys could get their minds away from what happened in Johannesburg,” said defence coach Paul Gustard. “There were some long green snakes, some long black-and-white ones too.

No sh*t :shock:
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

kentishglaws 15 Jun 2018 07:43 am said..

I actually don't think Cipriani will play at full back. Given the nature of the bench, the only other outside back is Solomona, So if Farrell was to go to 10, Cirpriani would have to replace Ford and then who plays centre? Unless it's a straight swap and Danny comes on for Brown or Daly, I don't think it'll happen.....Although Eddie has proved me wrong before...
kentishglaws
Vice-Captain

King Prawn Bhuna 15 Jun 2018 13:05 pm said..

England by more than 12.....
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Theotherjonny 15 Jun 2018 14:01 pm said..

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:
We had a reptile show and a barbecue so that the boys could get their minds away from what happened in Johannesburg,” said defence coach Paul Gustard. “There were some long green snakes, some long black-and-white ones too.

No sh*t :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
Posts: 179  Location: Tewkesbury (most evenings and weekends) Cheltenham (office hours) Kingsholm (home fixtures)
Theotherjonny
Senior squad member
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby