Olivier Azam

Olivier Azam

Citizen Rob 11 Jun 2018 09:58 am said..

You may have seen that Olivier Azam will be at Old Cents RFC this week for Worthington's Live along with Johan Ackermann and Izzy Noel-Smith. I had a chat with him about his time at Gloucester, his coaching (he wants to return to the Premiership one day) and his views on the current Cherry and Whites side. The full interview is here if you are interested: http://bit.ly/OlivierAzamInterview

I think a few tickets are still available for Wednesday as well for anyone interested in coming along. It should be a great night.
Citizen Rob
Senior squad member

Re: Olivier Azam

Stroud Wizard 13 Jun 2018 08:23 am said..

Some of his indiscretions on the pitch were of the worse order. They have no place in the game.
Pretty unforgivable in my mind.
Stroud Wizard
Senior squad member

andrewatcourtfarm 13 Jun 2018 09:11 am said..

That's a pretty random comment. Premiership rugby players are paid to win matches and they have to play what's in front of them at the time. Front row players in particular have always played close to the edge because if they didn't their team would end up out of the top 6.
andrewatcourtfarm
First team regular

robs1 13 Jun 2018 11:32 am said..

different era when he was playing, you cant judge him against todays standards, he always gave 100 % and wasnt a cheap shot merchant
robs1
Hall of Famer

Tump 13 Jun 2018 12:39 pm said..

He had a nasty confrontational edge on the pitch whilst giving his all as a very good hooker....whats not to like !
Ollie was great for GRFC and had real presence, he could change a game with his personality and atitude on the pitch.

Too many of the modern era players are anodyne gym monkeys. They run the drills on the pitch shake hands at the end and draw their pay check. No colour to them.
Tump
Vice-Captain

stuartjames 13 Jun 2018 13:00 pm said..

Some of his indiscretions on the pitch were of the worse order. They have no place in the game.
Pretty unforgivable in my mind.

Care to give examples, I can't honestly remember something that would provoke a response like this.

Whatever you do don't ever look further back in time to the likes of Burton and Blakeway, you'll probably faint.
stuartjames
Hero in the making

foresterinyorks 13 Jun 2018 13:11 pm said..

I remember a televised game at CG and Ollie was on the bench. I can't remember the opposition but it had been a particularly feisty encounter and then Mr Azam appeared. The commentator's comment was, and I paraphrase, "well that should settle things down a little".
Never Stay Down.
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 13 Jun 2018 13:14 pm said..

Apparently he knew how to say "it wasn't me ref" in 5 different languages! :lol:
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

gloshawk 13 Jun 2018 13:34 pm said..

forresterinyorks wrote:I remember a televised game at CG and Ollie was on the bench. I can't remember the opposition but it had been a particularly feisty encounter and then Mr Azam appeared. The commentator's comment was, and I paraphrase, "well that should settle things down a little".

I think it was a fiery game against Wasps at Kinsgholm, and it was Will Greenwood who commented. I'm happy to be corrected on either point.
gloshawk
Turns out for the A team

foresterinyorks 13 Jun 2018 13:50 pm said..

gloshawk you may be correct but I really can't remember.
Never Stay Down.
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby