Gentle Summer Meanderings ...

Re: Gentle Summer Meanderings ...

Longwayhome 04 Jul 2018 14:45 pm said..

stuartjames wrote:Kind of related but at the bottom of Southgate St coming up from Spa Lights, you've got the Nelson Inn on the left hand side, and on the corner of the docks the Tall Ship, but wasn't there another pub in between those two, on the same side of the road. I don't mean the Whitesmith's Arms, that's on the other side of the road. This would have been late 70s, early 80s at a guess.

Wasn't that the Barley Mow, which I think would be roughly where the car park is in Southgate street, also site of Jaco, formerly Haine and Corry builders merchants with the curved glass window.
Longwayhome
Vice-Captain

Django Unchained 04 Jul 2018 14:49 pm said..

Lewi7 wrote:Spartans walk again, from the YMCA to Lansdown Road.
Minchinhampton - used to change in a pub & drive to a field on the Common.
I played against Drybrrok once, but the pitches at their ground were frozen, so we changed in the Clubhouse & drove to the school at Mitcheldean. Coldest I've been playing with ice, snow, in fact it was a blizzard. We had an Aussie playing in the centre which he obviously found great fun, not. The changing room pipes were predictably frozen back at the clubhouse.
Ross - used to sometimes have to drive or walk to other pitches before they developed their Greytree clubhouse.

At Minch we used the Ram which was our clubhouse and drove to the common to play. We had to put the posts up and take them down after every game because it is National Trust land. Halcyon days :D
Run at the spaces, not at the faces!
Django Unchained
Vice-Captain

Longwayhome 04 Jul 2018 14:53 pm said..

covglaws wrote:Anybody remember the sign in New inn Lane pointing up the little passageway pointing "to all twelve bars" TWELVE!!!! :shock:

Yes, on the way up to the "Library" and then cut through the back way into the Lemon and Parkers
Longwayhome
Vice-Captain

King Prawn Bhuna 05 Jul 2018 07:48 am said..

The Lemon and Parkers....

Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

plod 06 Jul 2018 12:37 pm said..

Coming a bit late to the party. My father worked for Stroud Brewery. In the 50s the town was imbued with the smell of hops. Then brewing was moved to Cheltenham, I suppose to accommodate the dreaded keg beers like Tankard and Trophy. Our family had to move to Gloucester and we lived on the site of Arnold Perret. Later I would work in school and university holidays delivering wines and spirits to pubs under the Stowells of Chelsea name. There probably isn’t a pub within 60 miles radius of Gloucester that I haven’t visited. We drank in many after the delivery, including the drivers very often! The workers at Arnold Perrets got a quart a day beer allowance. I remember many of them drawing their beer from a barrel into a bottle and holding the bottle under a hot tap. I am delighted that Stroud has a brewery again.
plod
On the board

King Prawn Bhuna 06 Jul 2018 12:44 pm said..

I did a summer at Salmon Springs and was amused in those days, look back horrified now, to see the driver's having a few pints of whatever was on tap, usually Stella, before they went out.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Steve M 13 Jul 2018 11:00 am said..

I'm hoping that this is as anonymous a thread as possible to get away with a non-rugby related post.

If any Shedwebbers have any family connections to the villages of Norton and/or The Leigh off the Tewkesbury Road out of Gloucester I would love to get in touch … pm me ?
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
On the board

The Shuthonger One 13 Jul 2018 15:43 pm said..

I once did some leafleting in The Leigh!
The Shuthonger One
Vice-Captain

covglaws 14 Jul 2018 09:16 am said..

Not quite Norton, but apparently our family has roots in Sandhurst. Talking of that general area, who else was promised a holiday to Wainlodes as a kid? :)
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Posts: 1334  Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!
covglaws
Hall of Famer

Windermere 14 Jul 2018 10:00 am said..

Gloucester born fella died at The Little Bighorn serving in US 7th Cavalry.
Windermere
First team regular
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby