RFU Selection Policy

RFU Selection Policy

Back of Shed 07 Jul 2018 09:05 am said..

Good Morning Shedweb, long time lurker first time poster. I'm watching the Hurricanes v Blues and noticed that Brad Shields is playing for the Canes. So my question is that how can player not even playing in England nor for an English club can be able to be picked for England, whereas to keep his International hopes alive Chris Ashton had to give up a lucrative contract with Toulon to play for his country???
So how does the RFU Selection Policy work , as I recalled it if you did not play in England you did not play unless in extraordinary circumstances?
Over to the esteemed members for debate and hopefully some answers:?
Back of Shed
On a trial

Re: RFU Selection Policy

Glossince86 07 Jul 2018 09:33 am said..

Hi Back of Shed

Shields has signed a contract with Wasps next season - I believe he'll arrive and start playing for them at the end of the southern hemisphere season. As he had a contract with a premiership club in place for next season, exceptions were made made to allow him to play for England in the summer. I do not believe this is stated within the RFU selection policy but falls under the exceptional circumstances clause.

Hope this helps
Glossince86
On the board

Sheddy Mcshedface 07 Jul 2018 10:15 am said..

Shields is playing in England next year. Had Ashton already signed for Sale at the time we were selecting the squad I dare say he would been in with a shout of going to South Africa as well.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Back of Shed 07 Jul 2018 10:32 am said..

Thank you both for making it a bit clearer t for me.
Back of Shed
On a trial

King Prawn Bhuna 08 Jul 2018 19:05 pm said..

Glossince86 wrote:Hi Back of Shed

Shields has signed a contract with Wasps next season - I believe he'll arrive and start playing for them at the end of the southern hemisphere season. As he had a contract with a premiership club in place for next season, exceptions were made made to allow him to play for England in the summer. I do not believe this is stated within the RFU selection policy but falls under the exceptional circumstances clause.

Hope this helps

Ah a new Jones's Law. If that's the case then it's absolute tosh. I believe we had a contract with a player joining us from Lyon that the character used for his benefit and didn't fulfill.

I thought the Kiwi had finished inthe SH and started his PR career contract the same as others.

Glad that he tore up his games in RSA and was such a huge success(not-he was poor to average)....I'd rather see Robshaw in the shirt than a journeyman international that couldn't dance and didn't look good in black.

#playinenglandbeforeyouplayforengland
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Return to Gloucester Rugby