Ed Jones and the RFC

Re: Ed Jones and the RFC

ShedOrDead 12 Aug 2018 07:17 am said..

Another foreign coach arrives at Pennyhill Park, just to add grist to this mill.

A selection guaranteed to lighten the mood in camp as well...

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/international/bulls-coach-john-mitchell-set-to-join-eddie-jones-and-england-next-month-16502457
ShedOrDead
Vice-Captain

Clive's Pants 12 Aug 2018 07:41 am said..

Wow! I'm impressed with that signing - a world class coach.
Clive's Pants
Hero in the making

Beddis 12 Aug 2018 07:46 am said..

Why can’t we get rid of Jones now before it is too late? Mitchell if he does come will only make things even worse.

There is a very real risk that we will crash out at the pool stages again next year under this current regime. I said the same last time out and indeed had a wager with Mr G Mute Esq. As an Englishman this is horrible to watch again, particularly with the player base we have, especially those who are continually being ignored
Posts: 3447  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

ShedOrDead 12 Aug 2018 07:58 am said..

Beddis wrote:Why can’t we get rid of Jones now before it is too late?

Jones has credit in the bank from his run after taking over and his (still impressive) win rate. In my opinion, unless there is evidence that Jones has lost the dressing room he should be trusted to turn this around. More scurrilously, the RFU has extended Jones' contract beyond RWC'19; sacking Jones would turn the question of professional competence onto the RFU's Big Swinging Dicks, and none of them climbed the greasy pole without being aware of how their positions are perceived.

Beddis wrote:There is a very real risk that we will crash out at the pool stages again next year under this current regime.

England's Group is France, Argentina, USA and Tonga. I can't (yet...) share your fear that England will not qualify from that.
ShedOrDead
Vice-Captain

Russglos 12 Aug 2018 08:03 am said..

The addition of Mitchell worries me. He isn't known for his "people skills". :(
Russglos
Vice-Captain

Beddis 12 Aug 2018 09:27 am said..

ShedOrDead wrote:
Beddis wrote:Why can’t we get rid of Jones now before it is too late?

Jones has credit in the bank from his run after taking over and his (still impressive) win rate. In my opinion, unless there is evidence that Jones has lost the dressing room he should be trusted to turn this around. More scurrilously, the RFU has extended Jones' contract beyond RWC'19; sacking Jones would turn the question of professional competence onto the RFU's Big Swinging Dicks, and none of them climbed the greasy pole without being aware of how their positions are perceived.

Beddis wrote:There is a very real risk that we will crash out at the pool stages again next year under this current regime.

England's Group is France, Argentina, USA and Tonga. I can't (yet...) share your fear that England will not qualify from that.

France are improving from what I can see at a very fast rate (albeit from a very low base) and Argentina could finally start to turnaround with a new coaching staff and perhaps a relaxation of the overseas player ‘ban’ so the likes of Galarza can be considered again.

England are on a downward spiral with very little change looking likely at present.

So there is a risk that we’ll get dumped out in the opening round again, small at the moment but potentially those odds will reduce over the next six months or so
Posts: 3447  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

CMGC 12 Aug 2018 10:05 am said..

I share your concern about Mitchel who does have some "previous" on his record. However I have little doubt this will have been considered and we don't know much more about how Mitchel and Jones may get on work together. Eng will always be on the backfoot compared to NZ / Ire as long as we continue with our playing set up where the Prem dominates and National teams fit in around them. We have to live with that as it seems the RFU are not going to change the set up. Thus Eng getting to Semi's and the odd final will be as good as it gets. I doubt any coach Eng pick can do much about that. Jones has selected just about every player possible over the last few years to try them out. I may prefer one to another but then we don't see them in close contact. Yes Glos players don't feature but given our results I'm not surprised. Test match rugby is a different game. If Eng win 3 out of 4 AI's this year they will have done very well. I guess it depends on what you expect.
CMGC

ShedOrDead 12 Aug 2018 10:25 am said..

Beddis wrote:France are improving from what I can see at a very fast rate (albeit from a very low base) and Argentina could finally start to turnaround with a new coaching staff and perhaps a relaxation of the overseas player ‘ban’ so the likes of Galarza can be considered again.

England are on a downward spiral with very little change looking likely at present.

So there is a risk that we’ll get dumped out in the opening round again, small at the moment but potentially those odds will reduce over the next six months or so

Yes - Argentina are the key to this. Ledesma is a strong appointment but I'd missed the news that they had relaxed their sellection rules for players based outside of Argentina. Has this actually happened?
If so, good news for Super Mariano, but also brings Herrera, Corderro et al into contention again - in short, real quality. Even so, Argentina are coming from such a depth I still think England will have too much (opinion to be reviewed in November, naturally).

As for France... pft... who ever knows with them? They look like they're on an upwards curve but good luck predicting their next performance, never mind those in 14mths. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat England but lost to the Yanks and Tongans, frankly...
ShedOrDead
Vice-Captain

RTS2 12 Aug 2018 11:56 am said..

As reported on the thread a week or two ago the move for Mitchell has been rumoured for a while now . It’s looking more likely that this will be formally announced sooner than later .

It appears that EJ is fairly fixed on his squad selection ; although there is plenty of time for a few more additions of someone stands out early season .

I can’t see JM adding anything to the defensive game myself .

At this level players know what’s required as does surely Jones himself . It’s whether the players available have the right mentality and strength to deliver . One would hope they do . Will JM help to harness this ?? . If he arrives let’s watch with interest . I’m not holding my breath . He’s not an all and all out defensive coach ; and perhaps it’s been seen that he can help create some kind of cohesion to EJ’s balance between attack and defence . I don’t see it myself ; however I guess we have to hope the “powers that be” have made the right call on this .

In terms of the NH game England were holding the flame high a couple of seasons ago . Jones approach and the teams tactics and strengths have perhaps been worked out by the others and we haven’t really made significant improvements anywhere . OK the final test against SA was a better performance albeit in conditions slightly more akin to the British Autumn ; but I think all of the 6 Nations sides other than Italy ( and England )have improved on the last two season and an improvement on England’s position in the competition from last season is by no means guaranteed .

Some tough tests ahead ; and I think anything less than a 50 % win result in the Autumn may well spell trouble for Jones . That would have been disappointing a couple of seasons ago ; but as things stand , it might be spun by many as an improvement on where the side have been over the last year .

Perhaps the appointment of someone who has international coaching experience into the coaching set up will add some pressure on EJ to buck things up ? . Not sure it’s the right man to do this ; but who knows maybe it will help do the trick ??.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 12 Aug 2018 15:18 pm said..

Hopefully JM will fill the much-needed role of the wise deputy Head Coach working alongside EJ. No doubting JM's vast experience of the game.

And aren't all signings from SA good news on here ?!?!
Last edited by Gloucester Mute on 12 Aug 2018 22:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1154  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby