Other games

Re: Other games

CMGC 16 Sep 2018 16:04 pm said..

It will be an interesting and I suspect high scoring game when we come up to Cov in 3 weeks time. I can see lots of tries given both defences. !!!
CMGC

LowerO 16 Sep 2018 16:06 pm said..

CMGC wrote:Technically a red but in my view not deliberate and not that bad. Players will get more of these as long as they risk going high.

Which is exactly why it’s being policed like this. Don’t want a red card, then adjust your tackling. Being hit in the head by a 6 foot 7 inch 19 stone man is not healthy for the brain. In the 1950s they said that smoking was good for you!
LowerO
Vice-Captain

Number10 16 Sep 2018 16:08 pm said..

Fat Taff wrote:It was a high tackle with poor technique, no baiting KBP, but I reckon calling it thuggery is a bit ott. It was Spencer's first red, it's not like he's got previous.

I still think it's red, and I'm genuinely surprised by 'the games gone soft brigade', including Big Jim, Billy V and Genge.

I agree with you although I thought yellow not red. Taylor was dipping into him as he went in which in my mind makes it yellow not red. Can see why red was given and understand about play safety being the issue.
Number10
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 16 Sep 2018 16:09 pm said..

KPB thuggery it was not. That is a massive overreaction. Dai Young just stated in interview that he hopes Spencer doesn’t get banned and that there was no intent.
Interesting see current and ex pro players saying it was a soft red and i agree. I understand why it’s given but think rugby needs to look closely at this sort of call.
George Ford is back to his best, I’m sure the watching EJ will be pleased to see him and May playing well
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Fat Taff 16 Sep 2018 16:18 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:KPB thuggery it was not. That is a massive overreaction. Dai Young just stated in interview that he hopes Spencer doesn’t get banned and that there was no intent.
Interesting see current and ex pro players saying it was a soft red and i agree. I understand why it’s given but think rugby needs to look closely at this sort of call.
George Ford is back to his best, I’m sure the watching EJ will be pleased to see him and May playing well

I can't see why players are complaining. There's a far greater understanding of the seriousness of the long term effects of repeated concussions. These laws are in place to try and minimise contact to the head. I just don't get their issue with it.

Pitbull seems to be a lone voice in support of it.

I thought Murphy's attitude was a bit odd, shrugging and saying 'he's six foot ten' as if that's some kind of excuse. The coaches know the laws, get your players to adjust their technique accordingly , tall people can bend at the hips.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

madders 16 Sep 2018 16:27 pm said..

I think the red card was harsh, Taylor was dipping and Spencer stood his ground. Imho BOTH players contributed to the outcome.
If the RFU really want to protect players then maybe all players should wear head protection. Perhaps all tackling above the waist should be banned?
The way things are going I’d sell up to CVC while the game is still watchable as the way things are going it is becoming a joke!
madders
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 16 Sep 2018 16:28 pm said..

Perhaps, as players and ex players they understand the pace of the game etc and they have a bit more understanding of how what some call “rugby incidents “ occur. Not saying I agree or disagree. Ref made his call and we shall see in the week if a ban is imposed
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Fat Taff 16 Sep 2018 17:00 pm said..

madders wrote:I think the red card was harsh, Taylor was dipping and Spencer stood his ground. Imho BOTH players contributed to the outcome.
If the RFU really want to protect players then maybe all players should wear head protection. Perhaps all tackling above the waist should be banned?
The way things are going I’d sell up to CVC while the game is still watchable as the way things are going it is becoming a joke!

Explain to me how head protection prevents concussion.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Welly 16 Sep 2018 17:03 pm said..

Happy enough with the game.

The comment about it being an act of thuggery is ridiculous it was clear no malaise was intended.
Welly
On the board

Not1eyed 16 Sep 2018 17:11 pm said..

Think, other than KPB, we all agree with you on that Welly.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby