Oh Brucie.....what were you thinking

Re: Oh Brucie.....what were you thinking

steckers 08 Dec 2018 21:23 pm said..

Those flags are blooming annoying though - personally i don't want someone in front of me waving them.
Posts: 1959
steckers
Hall of Famer

Re: Oh Brucie.....what were you thinking

Number10 08 Dec 2018 21:23 pm said..

To be fair a flag waving in front of your face for the whole game is annoying. Hopefully more grounds will ban them
Posts: 1227
Number10
Hall of Famer

Re: Oh Brucie.....what were you thinking

Forest 09 Dec 2018 00:41 am said..

Hahaha when I went to the rec last year they put a bath flag on every seat
Posts: 103
Forest
Senior squad member

Re: Oh Brucie.....what were you thinking

GammoGlos 09 Dec 2018 01:31 am said..

I'm going to see if I can attach one to my bobble hat
Posts: 538
User avatar
GammoGlos
Hero in the making

Re: Oh Brucie.....what were you thinking

ShedOrDead 09 Dec 2018 07:03 am said..

I think it depends on the ground as well. Granted, a load of flag waving in the Shed would be annoying as you are usually looking past people and posts from there (and how people could hold a flag when they already have a 2pt pitcher in each hand isn't clear either), but somewhere like the Ricoh which is steeper all round it can be a good idea, especially on games around Christmas where they aim to litterally fill it with families. The Glaws game there last season showcased this excellently.

There's also the etiquette of using them: wave them when play has stopped for a try or after a successful kick, not during play.

B*rf always leave flags out for their fans when I've gone to the rec, so banning Leinster flags seems hypocritical and to claim " 'Elf'n'Safety" appears disingenuous. I'd love to see their reasons for this (I.e. watch them keep digging).
Posts: 521  Location: West Oxfordshire
ShedOrDead
Hero in the making

Re: Oh Brucie.....what were you thinking

Harrison26 09 Dec 2018 08:18 am said..

ShedOrDead wrote:I think it depends on the ground as well. Granted, a load of flag waving in the Shed would be annoying as you are usually looking past people and posts from there (and how people could hold a flag when they already have a 2pt pitcher in each hand isn't clear either), but somewhere like the Ricoh which is steeper all round it can be a good idea, especially on games around Christmas where they aim to litterally fill it with families. The Glaws game there last season showcased this excellently.

There's also the etiquette of using them: wave them when play has stopped for a try or after a successful kick, not during play.

B*rf always leave flags out for their fans when I've gone to the rec, so banning Leinster flags seems hypocritical and to claim " 'Elf'n'Safety" appears disingenuous. I'd love to see their reasons for this (I.e. watch them keep digging).


Spot on regarding the etiquette of when to wave them. At the Bristol game earlier in the season there was a fan who was constantly waving it during play. There were a lot of us in the terraced area getting increasingly frustrated with just one woman and her flag. God knows what would have happened with 1500 being waved!

Getting back on topic though, you can’t blame Bath for not wanting a sea of blue for 80 minutes, but the excuse used was pretty p**s poor
Posts: 63
Harrison26
First team regular

Re: Oh Brucie.....what were you thinking

ShedOrDead 09 Dec 2018 08:32 am said..

Harrison26 wrote:Getting back on topic though, you can’t blame Bath for not wanting a sea of blue for 80 minutes, but the excuse used was pretty p**s poor

I know they may not like it, but to do that to Leinster fans who have given up their whole weekend to come over and cheer on their team seems like sour grapes. Leinster won, so I'm sure their fans weren't too annoyed at the end of it.

One of the wonderful things about the Euro cups is the chance to mix with fans you'd not do so normally and experience rugby cultures slightly different to our own: I can't wait for Munster at CG for this reason. Yes, it's only flags so I don't want to sound high and mighty over what is a trivial thing, but denying fans a part of their support does seem to miss the point of the Euro games somewhat.
Posts: 521  Location: West Oxfordshire
ShedOrDead
Hero in the making

Re: Oh Brucie.....what were you thinking

Harrison26 09 Dec 2018 09:40 am said..

ShedOrDead wrote:
Harrison26 wrote:Getting back on topic though, you can’t blame Bath for not wanting a sea of blue for 80 minutes, but the excuse used was pretty p**s poor

I know they may not like it, but to do that to Leinster fans who have given up their whole weekend to come over and cheer on their team seems like sour grapes. Leinster won, so I'm sure their fans weren't too annoyed at the end of it.

One of the wonderful things about the Euro cups is the chance to mix with fans you'd not do so normally and experience rugby cultures slightly different to our own: I can't wait for Munster at CG for this reason. Yes, it's only flags so I don't want to sound high and mighty over what is a trivial thing, but denying fans a part of their support does seem to miss the point of the Euro games somewhat.


Sorry, should have elaborated a bit more and been clearer. I think it is pathetic of them to not allow it, and the excuse used was poor. Just seems that they were clutching at straws for a reason to not allow it and to ensure they had a more visible home advantage
Posts: 63
Harrison26
First team regular

Re: Oh Brucie.....what were you thinking

madders 09 Dec 2018 10:17 am said..

Leinster ensured Bruce got what he deserved! The home team normally attempts to make their visitors welcome. Bath might want to think about that.

Can’t see them getting anything next week. Shame. :mrgreen:
Posts: 2167
madders
Hall of Famer

Re: Oh Brucie.....what were you thinking

ShedOrDead 09 Dec 2018 10:58 am said..

Harrison26 wrote:Sorry, should have elaborated a bit more and been clearer. I think it is pathetic of them to not allow it, and the excuse used was poor. Just seems that they were clutching at straws for a reason to not allow it and to ensure they had a more visible home advantage

No need to apologise: May have been me misunderstanding you!

Perhaps Leinster can return the gesture next weekend? A temporary ban on Barbour jackets and British-registered Range Rovers within a 20 mile radius of Dublin Bay would be entirely reasonable IMHO.
Posts: 521  Location: West Oxfordshire
ShedOrDead
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Red, Chris Jones, coleser, Google [Bot], King Prawn Bhuna, lucifer, Simmo468 and 29 guests