Munster OGT

Re: Munster OGT

Jimbodini 14 Jan 2019 11:08 am said..

One thing I will note is how players reps seem to be going up by not being in the team alone. Most on here were slating Woodward for dropping high balls and not passing the ball when in 2 on 1s or 3 on 2s earlier in the season and now he’s out are now saying he is what we miss?

We really need our full quota of props back as atm we really just don’t know where we are there. Is it a case that they can’t dominate any team at scrum time or is it that they are running on empty and when we are fully stocked we actually have 2 sets of great front rows?

Regardless of game plan we really need to start generating some really quick front foot ball, which I don’t think we have done for a while now. Personally there were signs of it in the first 10 mins of the tigers game but then the ref started pinging us for going off our feet (sealing off), when it was simply a case of being overdominant and no opposition from Leicester, which I felt was harsh.

I’m all for sticking to our guns but I think for the next group of games we should give as many first teamers a rest as possible. Get as many players back fit as we can for the next block of prem games and simplify the gameplay slightly. Really look to take it to Exeter up front and get field position. Once inside their half or 10 meter line then look to launch the backs. Forgot trying to score the perfect try for now from our own goal line. Keep it simple, really front up and then go for the kill in the right areas of the pitch. We seem to waste far too much energy and effort trying to play rugby between our own 22 and half way.
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain

Lewi7 14 Jan 2019 12:02 pm said..

Well, that was sobering.

We are on a losing run, ever since we went to Exeter and beat them. The key for me is we are lacking ball carriers, the likes of Polledri & Ackerman. Morgan can't do it all on his own and our game is based on carrying before moving the ball.

It doesn't matter who plays at 10, at this level, if mistakes are made; if we don't have the ball carriers to make ground any team will struggle. Munster are too street wise and experienced at this level too.

Finally, our defence has gone to pot, as a result confidence is low but we can now concentrate on the league, getting players back from injury and securing a min of top 6 finish.
Posts: 3493  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

steckers 14 Jan 2019 12:14 pm said..

They aren't winning the 1 on 1 collision too much in the last month - maybe another result of fatigue.

Perhaps a benefit of having lot of players injured currently is - when they return they will be fresher. Obviously they will need to regain match fitness also.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Blackcountryglaws 14 Jan 2019 12:37 pm said..

All manner of theories have been put forward to explain the poor performances of the last few weeks, so lets chuck another into the mix. ( And no doubt get pilloried for it.)
Its generally accepted that last seasons squad didn't have the quality to mix it with the big boys of Europe or even the Prem for that matter, but that this term we would make a much better fist of things. Sadly that's not the case and recent results suggest we could be struggling to better last seasons final league position.
So, could the reason for this be simply that this seasons squad isn't that much better than last years? Yes, there has been an uplift in quality in some positions but we also lost some serious talent in the summer. Losing the likes of Afoa, Orr, Hibbard, Thrush, Moriarty, Burns and Scott can't be written off as getting rid of dead wood. Remember also that Kriel, Dreyer and Mostert were unavailable for a large part of the early season, the first two being still out of contention.
The players most lauded on this site include Balmain, Hohneck, Slater, Polledri and Thorley; all players that were here before the influx of new blood. So should we really be surprised with recent results? Were the lads just overachieving in the first half of the season and are now being found out?
I hope this theory is as wide of the mark as some of the others posted recently, but only time will tell.
I'll now be silent and wait for the vitriol to be spat with fury in my general direction......
Blackcountryglaws
Turns out for the A team

Big Red 14 Jan 2019 12:40 pm said..

steckers wrote:They aren't winning the 1 on 1 collision too much in the last month - maybe another result of fatigue.

Perhaps a benefit of having lot of players injured currently is - when they return they will be fresher. Obviously they will need to regain match fitness also.

We aren't winning collisions because we're spending so much time defending, which is exhausting. When it comes to the carry after so many phases we lack energy and are making mistakes.
Big Red
Hall of Famer

TOBIAS 14 Jan 2019 12:45 pm said..

I wouldn`t swap Thrush or Hibbard for what we have now. OK I get it with Scott and Burns and maybe Moriarty. Afoa we could have got another year I suppose. It`s the injuries at the moment. Marshall - I don`t know the stats but just how many has he played for us ? I was surprsied to see Scott go but maybe JA just didn`t fancy him but he could have done a job this year for sure.
TOBIAS
Hero in the making

Chalker 14 Jan 2019 13:21 pm said..

TOBIAS wrote:I wouldn`t swap Thrush or Hibbard for what we have now. OK I get it with Scott and Burns and maybe Moriarty. Afoa we could have got another year I suppose. It`s the injuries at the moment. Marshall - I don`t know the stats but just how many has he played for us ? I was surprsied to see Scott go but maybe JA just didn`t fancy him but he could have done a job this year for sure.

With respect Scott wouldn't have helped our defensive stats, I agree he had a decent try scoring record but ---
Chalker
Hall of Famer

Alex 14 Jan 2019 13:31 pm said..

Our set piece was poor on Saturday, and against Exeter at home. I didn’t see the Sale game. If you can’t get that right then everything else just snowballs, and small problems are magnified.

The number of front row injuries have caused us big problems. Balmain and Hohneck must have played more minutes this season than most, if not all other front row in the prem or champions cup. Heroic effort from both but it’s impossible for them to operate at their best if constantly being flogged.

And with the injuries our SiD has been very stretched. Having seen the Munster game at Kingsholm and watched it back, great prospect he is, but Henry Walker had a shocker on Friday. A better line out thrower such as Hanson would have made a big difference. Seville and Knight look great prospects as well but in an ideal world they would be drip fed in to a team doing well rather than all playing against Munster because no one else is left!

Hopefully we will be in better shape, and rested, come the next block of prem matches - I have confidence in Ackermann et al, if we can get some of those injured back fit I’m sure we will get back to winning ways. Top 4 is certainly achievable.
Alex
First team regular

Big Red 14 Jan 2019 13:33 pm said..

I think what Scott did do that none of our centres are doing, is hit good hard lines. Trinder is off colour and Atkinson/Twelvetrees/Williams are all 12's and distributors. With Saturday being a dead rubber, I would trial Banahan there.
Big Red
Hall of Famer

Peter 14 Jan 2019 13:34 pm said..

As we approached the Leicester game I reminded myself that it has been fairly traditional for Leicester to have their bad results before the New Year and for us to go the other way.
Peter
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby