Munster game review

Munster game review

Baldhead2 11 Jan 2019 22:12 pm said..

Thought the pack was great except for our throw in’s. Not sure why we haven’t sorted that, theories?

Danny and Thorley of the back’s were the only ones who looked at ease at that level, seems we need to sort out more behind the scrum than I first thought. Granted Woodward and Heinz were missed.

And re the level tonight it was or at least looked live, far higher than the usual premiership standard, only the top 2 can operate at that level imho.

Good yardstick I thought so I hope we will look to strengthen our backline before next season.
Baldhead2
First team regular

Re: Munster game review

glawsfan19 11 Jan 2019 22:26 pm said..

As good as Munster were I thought we were pretty poor. We have been hammered the last few weeks and that isnt down to just the opposition playing well. Questions need to be asked and a big turnaround needed ready for the next block of prem games.

This season has a familiar feel to last season start well top 4 around christmas and falling away. Maybe Ackermann needs to develop our game plan as we are being worked out at the moment. Injuries arent helping but I think its naive to think we will magically improve with a couple of players back its not that simple.
glawsfan19
Senior squad member

Not1eyed 11 Jan 2019 22:29 pm said..

You saw something different to me. I thought Cipriani was poor and clearly not 100%
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Gb83 11 Jan 2019 22:31 pm said..

glawsfan19 wrote:As good as Munster were I thought we were pretty poor. We have been hammered the last few weeks and that isnt down to just the opposition playing well. Questions need to be asked and a big turnaround needed ready for the next block of prem games.

This season has a familiar feel to last season start well top 4 around christmas and falling away. Maybe Ackermann needs to develop our game plan as we are being worked out at the moment. Injuries arent helping but I think its naive to think we will magically improve with a couple of players back its not that simple.

I am a tad concerned about our tactics, we seem to think we will always sore more but we don’t. Our defence is awful, I know we want to play wide and therefore don’t compete at rucks but that is a massive failing of ours.

It’s only Ackermanns 2nd season in europe but he needs to quickly reconsider our defensive set up or may be even look to bring in somebody support Bell or replace him, we concede far too easily.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

steckers 11 Jan 2019 22:35 pm said..

Re the defence, the try on the stroke of half time was a real killer. Sharples attempt at the tackle just wasn't good enough at any level of the game.

I think we need to give some credit to the opposition - a couple of their scores were sheer class.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Gb83 11 Jan 2019 22:36 pm said..

steckers wrote:Re the defence, the try on the stroke of half time was a real killer. Sharples attempt at the tackle just wasn't good enough at any level of the game.

I think we need to give some credit to the opposition - a couple of their scores were sheer class.

They do deserve credit for sure, just a shame we made them look so good.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Creamoftheprop 11 Jan 2019 22:37 pm said..

Think the step up in intensity, game management and gamemanship was massive compared to Prem.

Pack did alright after a dodgy periods. Seem we have an achilles heel of issues though - throwing in (Visagie and Walker), back 3 defusing the high ball..looks fragile without JW, one man carries into contact - just asking for trouble and possibly my biggest concern is managing the game as it evolves: knowing what to do, when and executing. Diff between a top class side and us in large parts is game management - fire in the belly and ice in the brain and all that.
Creamoftheprop
First team regular

LowerO 11 Jan 2019 22:38 pm said..

steckers wrote:I think we need to give some credit to the opposition - a couple of their scores were sheer class.

Why? Lots of posters here prefer to blame our players from the safety of their keyboard! :evil:
LowerO
Vice-Captain

Forrester 11 Jan 2019 22:40 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:You saw something different to me. I thought Cipriani was poor and clearly not 100%

Not a lot he can do when we were living off scraps all night. Most of the ball he had was slow and going backwards and the little quick ball we had we looked dangerous but sadly that only happened once or twice all game.
Forrester
Hall of Famer

LowerO 11 Jan 2019 22:41 pm said..

Creamoftheprop wrote:Diff between a top class side and us in large parts is game management - fire in the belly and ice in the brain and all that.

Gloucester have played how many games at this level in the last few years compared to Munster? And how many of our players have been involved at this level? It will take time. Munster have been doing it for years - oh, and they have the additional benefit of rest during the season.
LowerO
Vice-Captain
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby