Team for Castres

Re: Team for Castres

London Shed Head 13 Jan 2019 23:03 pm said..

Vanman wrote:There is a fine line between resting players and putting others in a position where their confidence might take a knock. Although our props needs time off, personally, I dont think it will do our academy lads any favours being dominated at scrum time.

That being said, I wouldn't keep our front row on for longer than 40min and they should be benched, or completely left out the squad the following week.

Although there is an argument to drop some of the players based on their individual performances over the last week or 2. However, seeing that its a dead rubber, I would stick with the same players and give them another chance.

15. Hudson
14. Charlie S/Purdy
13. Trinder
12. OW/MA
11. Ollie T
10. DC
9. CB
8. Freddy Clark
7. Gareth Evans
6. Luds
5. GG
4. Sav
3. Balmain (40min only)
2. Marais (40min only)
1. Hohneck (40min only)

Subs:
Walker, Seville, knight mostert, ben M, BV
Banners and MA/OW

Mostert, ben M - only sub if needed

That's pretty much what I'd go with too, with a couple of amendments. I'd play walker at 2 from the start, I'd play banners at 11 and rest Thorley, and if Paddy Mac is fit then i'd leave either Hoeneck/Balmain out completely.
London Shed Head
Hero in the making

Glos1012 14 Jan 2019 00:00 am said..

Seeing as its a dead rubber:

1.Seville
2.Marias
3.Knight
4.Slater(c)
5.GG
6.Hinkley
7.Evans
8.Morgan
9.Vellacott
10.Williams
11.Purdy
12.Atkinson
13.Trinder
14.Banahan
15.Hudson

16.Walker
17.Mccallister
18.Balmain
19.Clarke
20.Ludlow
21.Braley
22.Evans
23.Seabrook
Glos1012
Vice-Captain

Tump 14 Jan 2019 07:28 am said..

Would suspect that since this is now a dead rubber for both sides Castres will have a similar feeling to us.
Play out the game with minimum risk to key players and rest and recuperate for more important battles to come.
Good training run out no more.

As another poster said Exeter have done us a favour.
Tump
Vice-Captain

Sheddy Mcshedface 14 Jan 2019 08:25 am said..

Glos1012 wrote:Seeing as its a dead rubber:

1.Seville
2.Marias
3.Knight
4.Slater(c)
5.GG
6.Hinkley
7.Evans
8.Morgan
9.Vellacott
10.Williams
11.Purdy
12.Atkinson
13.Trinder
14.Banahan
15.Hudson

16.Walker
17.Mccallister
18.Balmain
19.Clarke
20.Ludlow
21.Braley
22.Evans
23.Seabrook

If that's the case then why have Morgan in the squad? He probably needs a break as much as anyone. Clarke to start with Evans at 8.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

madjake 14 Jan 2019 09:41 am said..

Glos1012 wrote:Seeing as its a dead rubber:

1.Seville
2.Marias
3.Knight
4.Slater(c)
5.GG
6.Hinkley
7.Evans
8.Morgan
9.Vellacott
10.Williams
11.Purdy
12.Atkinson
13.Trinder
14.Banahan
15.Hudson

16.Walker
17.Mccallister
18.Balmain
19.Clarke
20.Ludlow
21.Braley
22.Evans
23.Seabrook

I highly doubt all these are registered
madjake
On the board

foresterinyorks 14 Jan 2019 10:15 am said..

After their match on Saturday, Castres are straight back into Top 14 action and in their case against Clermont. Would it be naïve to suggest that their attention will be more focused on the Top 14 match than the dead rubber against Glos?
Never Stay Down.
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer

Jacko 14 Jan 2019 10:32 am said..

With the tie being a dead rubber and Castre potentially looking to play a weakened side as they focus on top 14, i think the psychological boost we could get from performing well and winning here outweighs the chance to fully rest players, especially as we have the premiership cup coming up after and a 4 week window where we can rest the key guys. A near month lay off after back to back bonus point defeats would be extremely hard to get over, most sports people would want to seek redemption as soon as possible to break the cycle. A win at Castre would be instrumental in an up turn in form going into the premiership. Therefore my 23 would be:

1. Hohneck (Seville after 50 minutes)
2. Marais (Walker after 50 minutes)
3. Balmain (Knight after 50 minutes)
4. Slater (Savage after 50 minutes)
5. Grobler
6. Clarke
7. Ludlow
8. Evans

9. Vellacott
10. Cipriani
11. Thorley
12. Williams
13. Trinder
14. Sharples
15. Hudson

16. Walker
17. Seville
18. Knight
19. Savage
20. Morgan
21. Brayley
22. Atkinson
23. Purdy

Reasons behind selections:
- Front row and scrummaging will be key in France, our young lads won't gain much from being mauled there.
- Slater's leadership is needed, Grobler has been playing well and has had the most rest recently.
Back row, Clarke has been phenomenal, Ludlow needs game time and Evans was outstanding against Tigers. Exeter showed pace is important for beating Castre, we won't smash and bash them into submission so lets move them around with a pacey back row.
-Half backs, Vellacott for speed around the ruck and he's had plenty of rest, Cipriani for management of the back line and to help us back into some sort of form and back line fluidity.
- Centres, Williams at 12 with Cips inside him was working well prior to injury, Owen probably needs a confidence boost and should get this at 12, Trinder needs form and game time, added pace in our back line in wider channels which has been missing.
- Back 3, they worked hard against Munster and deserve to be given another go. Pacey and quick back line to stretch the heavier Castre side.
Jacko
Academy prospect

Glos1012 14 Jan 2019 10:38 am said..

Forgot about the registration, DOH!
Glos1012
Vice-Captain

gmorgan131285 14 Jan 2019 11:02 am said..

Tump wrote:Would suspect that since this is now a dead rubber for both sides Castres will have a similar feeling to us.
Play out the game with minimum risk to key players and rest and recuperate for more important battles to come.
Good training run out no more.

As another poster said Exeter have done us a favour.

Tigers went there Rd 6 last year in a dead rubber with the 2nds and got stuffed 39-0. After 1 win the last 4 I'd take a strong team and finish this block of games with a confidence boosting win in France.
gmorgan131285
Hero in the making

Tump 14 Jan 2019 12:16 pm said..

I get where you are coming from and normally I would share the sentiment. However our injury situation changes things a lot.
Would a confidence boosting win be worth it if say Balmain picked up a nasty knock or Cips who may not have been 100% fit last game gets slammed in the same place........
I would say the balance favours resting where possible but that's just my opinion. You pay your money and roll your dice.
Tump
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby