Saracens OGT

Re: Saracens OGT

steckers 10 Nov 2019 15:49 pm said..

It's tough to criticise a 9 too much when the pack are getting outplayed. But maybe Chapman needs a look - I'd be very happy to see him have a game or 2.
steckers
Hall of Famer

lucifer 10 Nov 2019 17:53 pm said..

To be fair I thought Braley did well in Japan and was decent enough when he came on last week at Leicester. JA wants to rotate the squad to avoid burn out so it was CB's turn. Unfortunately he seemed to have reverted to last season's form in particular with slow distribution from the scrum. DC is by no means the player he was last season, though I'm not convinced he excels in wet conditions anyway. The pack was the biggest worry for all the reasons already stated, and what was our best set of starting props last season have seen us lose the 2 matches they've played this. I would not have left 12Ts out though appreciate JA needs to give Harris game time, when he came on it seemed we rediscovered our heart and ended up winning the 2nd half - though not by enough. As matter of interest that Saracens "reserve" team started with 9 full internationals, 4 Under 20 internationals and a Saxon (the other one, ironically, Richard Barrington, is a loose head prop born in Gloucester and studied at Hartpury!). The subs they used comprised 3 more full internationals and 2 under 20's.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Jimbodini 10 Nov 2019 21:08 pm said..

Yesterday was a worry for me. We don’t really seem to have any plan B when our running game isn’t working/clicking or if the conditions aren’t conducive to it. At times, in the second half in particular our backs looked like a bunch of school kids either stood still or running sideways.

Sarries at home should always be a game we are massively up for and I just didn’t feel that we really landed a punch. The crowd were bang up for it and we just had to try and exert some pressure on them and turn the screw but I don’t think we did that at any point really. The one time we did eventually get camped on their line I thought the game was already gone.

The wheels definitely haven’t come off for glaws but teams will watch that and think we can be got at at home and that is a massive worry. If we get bullied like that up front and mullered in the scrums we will lose far more than we win and it needs rectifying pretty damn quick..... especially with Bristol and London Irish looking strong. I wouldn’t back us to beat either of those teams right now.
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain

Alex 10 Nov 2019 21:58 pm said..

We didn’t have enough heavy carriers in the pack yesterday. Morgan aside, we had little punch through the pack - we missed slater, perhaps polledri or Ackerman should have started, and the front row seemed to make very little yardage. More front foot ball from the pack would have helped cohesion in the back line

I wasn’t impressed by Braley. We really lost the kicking battle and he and Cips were below par in his regard. Heinz’s game management would have made a big impact in a game like that. Simpson made a good impact when he came on and I echo the thoughts regards giving Chapman a go.

Not a good week, very disappointed we couldn’t give the Cheats a good hiding, but confidence in Johan Ackerman to put us right
Alex
Senior squad member

steckers 10 Nov 2019 22:09 pm said..

I think they are still looking a little rusty too - perhaps the lack of a pre-season is evident.
steckers
Hall of Famer

lucifer 10 Nov 2019 23:35 pm said..

What the heck were they doing pre season then?
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Herefordpropforward 11 Nov 2019 07:07 am said..

I watched yesterday the Exeter vs Bristol game as I am sure did many of you. Whilst enjoying the game it left me with a sense of foreboding about our eventual fate this season unless the alarm bells are ringing and speedy action taken. I know it’s early days yet and there are five months left but momentum is important as you kick start a season . I am too distant from internal matters to understand why we are not a cohesive unit on the park but , although I hesitate to use the term dysfunctional, that is how we looked on Saturday until Billy T came on. I refuse to name and shame individual players because I feel there is currently a team/squad failure . Let’s hope that behind closed doors this morning there are some cock on the block discussions.
West is best
Herefordpropforward
Hero in the making

steckers 11 Nov 2019 08:23 am said..

Gloucester played many of the younger players in 3 out of the 4 games.
steckers
Hall of Famer

MattChelt 11 Nov 2019 08:28 am said..

Short turn-around before the Toulouse game - at least we are home, and not having to travel. Assume we will be in for (light?) training today given the game is Friday evening?

We had an opportunity on Saturday to get one over on Sarries, and we blew our big moment. The circumstances are utterly different this coming Friday evening, but a win is an absolute must to get the European competition off to a good start - we do not want to be playing catch-up already when we go to Montpellier the following weekend.
MattChelt
Vice-Captain

Baldhead2 11 Nov 2019 08:38 am said..

taking a more positive slant, Thorley looks dangerous and Simpson is a very capable deputy @ 9.

Harris has yet to find his feet but in time he should add a bit more to the back line. I’d also like to see one of the young wingers trusted, with Marshall pushing Woodward for the 15 shirt.

Mostert will be back soon so the 2nd row will be strengthened. We won our first 5 line outs Saturday throwing to the front and middle but that went soar when trying it out at the back ... I think that picks up on the earlier post about playing to the conditions.

So overall our doldrums may be short lived, I hope so.
Baldhead2
First team regular
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby